Culture > News

John Legend and Chrissy Teigen Donate $25,000 to Students Fighting Gun Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Once again, John Legend and Chrissy Teigen have made headlines for helping others who are fighting for social change. Recently, Teigen offered to pay for McKayla Maroney’s fine for speaking out against Nassar. This time the power couple spoke out in support of the Parkland shooting survivors and the anti-gun March for Our Lives movement, donating $25,000 to the cause.

The donation comes just in time, as the March for Our Lives gathering is going to occur on March 24th. Students and others are going to call on Washington to demand change as Legend noted, “I think we’ve decided that everyone having unfettered access to guns is more important than all of us being safe”. This imbalance means a lot to the duo as they are now expecting another addition to their family, along with their one-year-old daughter Luna. It’s the country’s responsibility to protect their children as Legend explained, “I don’t want our kids to keep going to these shooter drills, and all these other things that I can’t even believe kids are dealing with right now”.

Legend and Teigen are now joining other celebs and brands such as George and Amal Clooney, the fashion brand Gucci, and more, in supporting the brave, young voices that have the chance to change the world and aid the fight for gun control.

Amber Shephard

Fairfield '20

Amber Shephard graduated Fairfield University in 2020 where she majored in Psychology and minored in Marketing. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com