Joanna Coles and Michelle Tan Take Over Seventeen Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

(Photo courtesy of Twitter)

After former editor in chief Ann Shoket announced she would be leaving Seventeen magazine after seven years, Hearst executives sprung into action. Immediately following Shoket’s departure, Joanna Coles, editor in chief at Hearst owned Cosmopolitan magazine, was named editorial director of Seventeen.

Last week David Carey, the president of Hearst Magazines, announced that Michelle Tan would report to Coles and take over as Editor-in-Chief at Seventeen this December. Tan spent 12 years at People magazine where she was promoted from Editorial Assistant to the Special Projects Editor (NY Post).

Employees at Hearst are buzzing with excitement for the newly appointed Editor-in-Chief, especially the talented Joanna Coles.

Coles said, “Michelle is a standout talent, and I couldn’t be more pleased that she’s joining Seventeen as its new Editor-in-Chief. She brings a modern, fresh take to the brand, which is the ultimate playbook for young women navigating their teen years” (Hearst).  

A new editor means new and exciting things for Seventeen magazine. Some are predicting that Seventeen will become the little sister magazine to Cosmopolitan, especially under the direction of Joanna Coles.

Seventeen is a brand that I loved growing up,” Tan said. “I am honored and thrilled to work with Joanna as we continue Seventeen’s legacy of encouraging young women to be confident, curious and bold” (Hearst).

Hearst is hoping to “further cement [Seventeen’s] place as the No. 1 teen magazine media brand in the country” (Hearst). 

Follow Megan on Twitter!

Megan is a Fairfield University senior majoring in English and journalism from Long Island, New York. She is the Fashion Director and a devoted writer for Her Campus Fairfield as well as a part-time Editorial Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com in New York City. Some of Megan's favorite things are the beach, Spotify playlists, Harry Potter and Instagram. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.