This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Bedtime? Nope, it’s dinnertime. While most Americans would be getting snuggled into their pajamas for the night, Spanish families are just sitting down to eat. Dinner in Spain is served anytime between 9 and 11p.m, and it will without a doubt include ham, in one form or another. While the timing is something I’ve gotten used to, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to look at/smell ham again.

Before I came to Spain, some friends and family had warned me about the excessive amounts of ham here. I brushed these warnings off as rumors, thinking how bad could it really be? I can’t say I have ever in my life craved ham, but I wouldn’t classify myself as a ham hater either. But here in Madrid, ham, or jamón as they call it, haunts me.

Jamón, jamón, jamón. There is absolutely no escaping it! Ham is to Spaniards, what the stars and stripes are to Americans. When I saw a flashing sign, “Museo del Jamón” (translation: Museum of Ham) I thought to myself, “this is really getting out of hand”. What could possibly be on display in this museum, and what would ever possess someone to pay to go inside?

But the Spaniards are tricky people and upon further investigation, I found that “Museo del Jamón” isn’t actually a museum, but a restaurant. They love it so much, they’ve even dedicated an entire chain of restaurants to it. “Museo del Jamón,” where having a ham sandwich just isn’t enough, so they decorate with it too. 

Dried, and cured pork legs, with their hooves still intact, dangle over your head as you chow down. Mmm, who’s hungry now??

Jamón is everywhere, and is in everything. Croquetas are stuffed with it, little pieces are mixed in with vegetables, and it’s sprinkled on salads. But no worries, if none of that has satisfied your ham craving, you can also get ham-flavored Pringles or Lays chips. Still hungry? McDonalds offers a “McIberica”, a burger topped with none other than a thick slice of ham.

If you’re like me, and are on the hunt for a ham free option I’d recommend the traditional Spanish dishes of tortilla, or paella. Tortilla is basically just a thick omelet. It’s made with eggs, potatoes, and onions and is usually served for dinner. (The Spanish never eat eggs for breakfast.) Paella which originated on the coast of Spain in Valencia, is for seafood lovers. It’s probably something you’ll want to share with friends since this giant mix of rice, seafood, and vegetables is served up in a huge pan.

Whatever you do, ham lover or not, you can’t leave Spain without picking up a ham shaped pillow for your BFF back home!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.