The Inventor Of Clam Jam: Walter Schwartz ’87

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Right:Walter Schwartz at the first Clam Jam in 1987

Ever wonder whose idea it was to start the biggest party at Fairfield University? This week we were honored to interview the legend that started Clam Jam! Walter “Wally” Schwartz graduated Fairfield in 1987 with a degree in finance and thanks to him and his group of friends, the tradition of Clam Jam still lives on.

Her Campus: What made you come up with the idea for Clam Jam?Walter Schwartz: I live in Michigan and when I was visiting friends in 1985 back at Michigan State in East Lansing Mich, they were having a clam jam in the middle of cornfields. When I moved to the beach my senior year, I thought dah – we could blow one out here. One roommate Bob “the Beast” O’Neil worked in restaurants and knew how to secure the clams. Another roommate Jeff “Buzz” Neuner was a rock star on campus and got his band on board for the gig. Two of my other housemates were good looking athletic studs, Tim O’ Toole and Ken McGovern, so their rolodexes were filled with the names of every babe on campus and my last roommate, Dave “Ghandi” Madonia, was a party legend, so it ensured every mad man on campus would be in attendance. 

HC: How many kids would you say were originally at Clam Jam, compared to around 1,000 college kids that now attend?WS: 800, give or take.

HC: What year was it when you started Clam Jam?WS: 1987

HC: Can you describe to us your expectations for Clam Jam?WS: No expectations, just wanted to have a great party on the top college venue in the country.

HC: How does it feel to have your daughter, Tatum Schwartz, a freshman here at Fairfield to be attending the same parties you did in college?WS: I think it is awesome. It has become a great tradition. I hope it continues.

HC: Did you think that it would become a yearly event?WS: No, but I am glad it has.

HC: Will the legend be attending Clam Jam this year?WS: I thought Fr. Von Arx, would likely send out the Fairfield bird to pick me up, but I guess it is unavailable, what the hell? Actually, I do have something going on that weekend, but I need to get it on my calendar for the next couple of years. Tate’s senior year will be the 30th anniversary. I need to rally all my former housemates for that one for sure.  I would love to come out and see my boys Nico, Logan, J Walsh, Flem and Jake; hopefully they don’t feel I am letting them down by not attending. I am also expecting a strong performance from Donz, Kaleen, Sammy V and Lexi. I hope it is another great day.

Clam Jam then, and Clam Jam now
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!