The Important Things College Teaches You Outside the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When it comes to college, often the most important things that you learn can actually have nothing to do with the classes you take or the major you declare. With each experience you have and every memory you make, you quickly learn that these four years have a lot to teach you even when you’re not in the classroom.

Your family is your true support system

With so many events to attend, classes to study for, and everyday stress, you may forget that the people who care for you the most are only a phone-call away. You will quickly learn that when the world comes crashing down- you can always count on your family to be there for you. They are the ultimate #squadgoals from cheering you on during your times of success to keeping you strong through your trials and errors.

Embrace change and new possibilities

College is more than just the parties you attend and the friendships you make; it is a time for growing and finding yourself and your passions. You will learn that if you take advantage of this opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone, even if you have a bad experience, you will benefit by learning more about yourself. Say yes to that study abroad opportunity in a country where you don’t know the language, join that club that represents something you really care about, and enjoy every moment of the decisions you make.

You have to take care of yourself

Wouldn’t it be amazing if your mom could magically appear at every meal of the day with your favorite home cooked meal? Unfortunately, saying goodbye to this luxury also means facing the fact that you are in control of how much of a priority you make health and wellness. You will quickly learn that pizza, Netflix and party diet doesn’t end well. We promise that your body will thank you later if you make the proactive decisions to seek out healthy food options, exercise regularly, and try to get as much sleep as possible.

The opinions of others don’t determine how successful you will be

A hard lesson learned outside the classroom is that there may be people who will try to stand in your way or who will tell you that your goal is unrealistic; don’t let them stop you. Let their reaction to your goals be a reflection of them and not a depiction of who you are going to be. If you have a goal, then work hard to achieve it. Let those who tell you otherwise watch from the sidelines as you advance along your path of success.

People grow in different directions 

With so many people to meet and get to know, you will learn that it is natural that college can change you and the relationships you once had. Whether it is the friends you used to be close to or a relationship that just isn’t working anymore, everyone responds to the changes that come with being in college differently and that is OK.

Live in the present moment

We are all so eager to grow up yet, thinking about being that much older won’t get you there any faster. No matter how long you spend searching for your dream job or planning out the apartment you want to live in and the house you eventually want to own; none of those things will be achieved unless you take advantage of the time you have now. You don’t want to look back on your college years with thoughts of what you should have done. Realize now that everyday you can make a choice to be present in the moment is an opportunity. 

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.