I Wore Makeup Every Day For A Week And Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

First off, I love makeup. I love the way that it can make you feel more confident, beautiful, and outgoing. I love how a deep shade of maroon lipstick or a simple curved line of deep black liquid eyeliner can transform a face. Makeup is an outlet for many to express themselves, experiment with different trends, looks, and ideas. However, I don’t usually wear makeup –  not every day at least. I usually only wear makeup when I have a big event, go out to the bars, or whenever I honestly feel like it (and have the time to actually do it). For me, makeup is fun, flirty, and an outlet, but I can’t seem to always keep up with it every day. So, I took on the challenge of wearing makeup every day for a week, and here is what happened.

Monday:

First day of the week of makeup and I was ready to take it head on. I had gotten a good night sleep and was ready to wake up a little earlier than usual for my 9:30am class to get the ball rolling. I felt like this could be start of something new. I put on a full face of makeup – foundation, some eyeliner, mascara, and of course, let’s not forgot about that highlighter. I felt good and looked good. But, during the day I would forget that I was wearing makeup because I usually don’t and I smudged my eyes or faded my blush. But, overall it was a good day. I felt a bit more energized and put together.

Tuesday:

Tuesdays are always an early morning because I commute to the city for my internship, so that means rise and shine! I am a girl who values her sleep and quite frankly am not a morning person at all. The sound of that alarm is one of the worst sounds out there. So getting up to yet again put on makeup (I know it is only the second day) was hard. I decided not to go all out. I decided to put on minimal details and just apply a little mascara, blush and highlighter. I felt more like myself due to not usually wearing much to begin with. It still gave me a little jump-start to the day strutting into work with a little sparkle though!

Wednesday:

Wednesday’s are usually my lazy homework day and to be honest, I really felt that there was no reason to go through the whole motions and act of putting on a face when I wasn’t leaving the house and or would just be going to the gym to sweat it all off. So…. I made an executive decision to not wear makeup. I know, I kno, I’m a bad person. I tried, I really did, but I couldn’t bring myself to go ahead and put something on that I was just going to take off. It gave me a break, but also allowed my face to breathe and be clean. I had my lazy day free of makeup and I have no regrets. But, hey I did put on some lip stain, that counts right?!

Thursday:

Okay, today I started off late. I had to run to my car and speed to campus to make it to class on time. So as you can guess, no makeup. I went through my day not even really thinking about it because it was like any other day of me not wearing makeup. However, as I was finishing up my run I realized I did not keep up my promise. I proceeded to shower and after showering, I put on a face of makeup because my day was not over yet so why not. I was going to stick to this challenge one way or another. Even putting on my makeup later in the day exhilarated me to want to take on the rest of my classes, as well as giving me the feeling of wanting to go out, go grab a drink at happy hour, or just spend time with some friends. I was ready to take on the night.

Friday:

Today is the last day of this little experiment and I wanted to go out strong. So, I decided against my better wishes to wake up at 6am to razzle dazzle myself. I decided to add a little glitter eye shadow, something I wouldn’t normally do, especially to wear to my internship. But, hey I felt good, I was working it, and it had gotten noticed by a couple of my colleagues (in a good way, don’t worry).  Little moments like this made me feel good and confident. It makes me want to try a little harder, wear makeup a little more often, and try some new things that go a little out of my comfort zone.

Makeup is an amazing asset and fun to play around with. I learned that it is okay that I don’t need to wear makeup every day to feel comfortable in my own skin. However, I also learned that I can make bolder moves and can feel just as awesome with a winged eye. It can transform someone entirely and that is totally okay because it feels magical.

For those ladies out there who go all out every day, I commend you. You are superstars! And, for those of you who are more like me and go the more natural route, you are all very special too. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, whether they wear makeup every day or not. Do what works best for your schedule, and makes you feel most beautiful and most you!

Adriana is currently a second semester senior at Fairfield University. She is majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in creative writing as well as a double minor in marketing and women, gender and sexuality studies.              
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com