I Hate Confrontation But Want To Get My Point Across

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Sometimes it’s just easier to ignore your problems until they go away. Giving someone the cold shoulder or ignoring his/her texts usually seems like the way to escape a tough situation for those of us who hate confrontation. We go to the extremes of pretending that everything is fine or overlook the wrong that someone has done to us until the problem is blocked out of our heads.

But this is definitely easier said than done. If you haven’t guessed, these are some of the ways those of us who hate confrontation deal with our problems. But truth be told, these only lead to more issues. Honesty will forever be the best policy and being upfront about the way you feel is hard but worth it in the long run.

Confrontation is the best and often only method to get your point across, and this must be face to face. Discussions over text can become distorted if someone misreads a message in a particular tone that gives the message a different connotation than it was meant to have. Talking issues out with someone may seem terrifying, but it will actually bring you peace knowing the reason why someone is upset with you or sharing how you have been feeling towards a person’s actions. You cannot fix a problem until both parties know what the problem is. One person may think everything is fine until they hear from the opposing party that something offended them. The other person may not have even realized that they said or did something wrong. How can you possibly move on from a situation that you are not even aware of?

It’s better to address an issue before it evolves into an argument that may ruin a friendship or a relationship. If you feel tensions arising, say something right away. Find out if everything is okay or if the other person is just going through a tough time and taking it out on you. Nothing bad can result from speaking up and acting as the bigger person. It could help to prevent a relationship so special to you from potentially breaking. While you may hate confrontation, getting your point across or just clarity about the situation is worth it. Get comfortable with the uncomfortable!

I am from Long Island, New York. I currently attend Fairfield University and I am pursuing a major in Finance and minors in Mathematics and Economics. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com