I Gave Up Coffee For a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Coffee. It is what gets me through my 8 a.m. three times a week. What keeps me going for an all-nighter. Honestly, it’s what gets me through each day.

I am addicted to coffee. Iced, hot, macchiato, lattes; give me anything with caffeine and I will drink it. Usually, I start my morning by drinking a cup either made by my Keurig, or purchased at Starbucks. Then, I’ll have another cup later on in the day or two more if I am feeling really sluggish. It is safe to say that coffee is something I cannot live without.

I told my friends I was giving up coffee for a week and they gave me the same reaction: God bless. God bless is right. This past week has been the ultimate struggle, but I am proud to say I survived.

DAY 1, SATURDAY:I woke up kind of late around 11:30 a.m. feeling super tired. I told myself I could do this and went on with the rest of my day. 

DAY 2, SUNDAY:Painful headache. I don’t know if I can do this…

DAY 3, MONDAY:Went to bed around midnight and woke up for my 8 a.m. at 7:30 because I overslept. Caught myself falling asleep in class. Walked past Starbucks successfully but with a raging headache. 

DAY 4, TUESDAY:My friends went to Einsteins for breakfast and I had to refrain from buying an iced coffee. I watched in torture as they all drank theirs in front of me. (I guess I have a lot of will power.)

DAY 5, WEDNESDAY:My 8 a.m. turbo got cancelled so I got to sleep in, but still woke up exhausted!! I had to stay up late doing a project and couldn’t even keep my eyes open past 11 p.m. Thought: I seriously need coffee. 

DAY 6, THURSDAY:I was feeling better from not drinking coffee for the past 4 days, but woke up feeling sick with a headache, so I drank a cup of decaf tea instead. (Side note: tea is never a substitute for coffee.)

DAY 7, FRIDAY:THE LAST DAY!! I woke up super happy and made myself a giant cup of coffee. 

Not drinking coffee for a week was hard, but I managed to survive. Not so sure if I would take on the challenge again though…

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant