I Didn’t Wear Makeup For a Week and This Is What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

While I love to get dolled up and channeling my inner Bobbi Brown, pulling the au naturale look every once in a while has its personal benefits. Not wearing makeup for a week was the perfect excuse to let my true persona shine through; and just maybe you’ll try to go makeup-free and learn a thing or two about yourself in the process like I did!

Here are some of the things I learned going makeup-free for a week:

Cosmetics don’t equal confidence

As fun or as not fun as it may be to put makeup on every morning, nothing screams confidence like showing off your bare face. Hiding behind heavy foundations and bronzers only limits the world to seeing who I truly am. I realized that I didn’t need to doll myself up every morning to feel accepted and embraced my natural beauty, which was a huge step to empower my self-confidence. For all the collegiettes out there: you are beautiful the way you are, why pretend to be otherwise?

Better looking skin

Other than organic beauty and skin products, makeup typically contains pore-clogging ingredients. Giving my skin a break from makeup, allowed it to rejuvenated and refreshed!

More time to sleep

When I wake up for my 8 a.m., the last thing I ever want to think about is putting on a full face of makeup. Greeting the day with a naked face allowed more time for sleep, eating a healthy breakfast, organizing myself for the day ahead, and most of importantly, getting that medium iced coffee from Starbucks that I definitely always need.

Getting dolled up is a treat

When my skin finally felt rejuvenated and radiating after its week vacation, putting on makeup was actually exciting! Rather than a normal task incorporated in my everyday routine, it felt special to put on that last stroke of mascara before the night kicked off. Now, that I was feeling like a new and improved au naturale beauty queen, wearing makeup made everyone (including yourself) do a double take.

My true personality was able to shine through

Most importantly, I am trying not to let my $50 Chanel mascara become the face of who I am. Put in the effort to work on your inner self more than you would to work on your outer self, and I can guarantee you’ll feel more fulfilled. Without a face full of makeup, people were able to focus more on who I truly am without the distraction of my dolled up appearance. 

Eva Rago

Fairfield

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant