george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Didn’t Use Insta for the Week and Here‘s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

What would we do if we had to give up our Instagram aesthetics, photoshoots with friends, and scrolling to find out what all of our friends are up to on-campus and faraway at home? The thought is totally #unimaginable. Us Collegiettes spend a lot of our time investing in our social profile, finding the best way to post photos on Insta and using the app for so much more. Such as interacting with friends to simply looking at cute dog photos to destress and distract when a big test is coming up. Now, how would you react if I told you I completely gave up Insta for the entire week? 

Yes. I said it. The ~entire~ week. With two big essays and two exams on my plate for the week, I decided to take on the challenge of giving up something that surely takes up too much of my own time – the one and only Instagram. At first, the challenge seemed daunting to disconnect from the social world by taking the first and, ultimately scary, step to click on the “X” that would delete Instagram from my iPhone’s screen.  

Throughout the week, I found myself being drawn to click on Insta, but it just not there! When I had no Insta to click on, I had to focus my energy somewhere else. This usually made me get schoolwork done without having any distractions. I felt I was missing out on seeing what my friends were posting and what my favorite celebrities were up to for the week. Giving up Insta this week didn’t only make me more focused but also more social and interactive with my friends here on campus. It gave me an opportunity to spend more time with friends and gain more connections ~beyond~ the screen. 

In the end, not being on Instagram made me realize how much we spend on social media! Take some time to detox from social media for a while, even if it’s just for a few days. Surprisingly you’ll have so much more time on your hands to care about ~you~ and not your Instagram aesthetic or posting to your profile. When life gets busy, eliminate Insta. (Sorry, Insta, we will still love you always…shhh!) 

Even though a social media cleanse is surely nice for focusing on bigger and better things, I am excited to catch up on what my friends have been posting for the past week. AND… I can’t wait to be able to indulge in all of the cute and fun pictures that will come out of Pres Ball for the next few days! Remember, ladies, a perfect way to get an A may just be giving up your favorite apps for the week! Stay focused, and stylish! HCXO

Olivia Mahoney

Fairfield '23

Olivia is from Massachusetts and a marketing and management major at Fairfield University. She is the Relationship & Dating Editor for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter and also participates as a Writer.
Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.