Style

How to Style Your Favorite Pair of Baggy Jeans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

There is nothing we love more than finding a good pair of denim jeans. Denim is simply timeless. Through the decades, we have seen various styles and fits come and go; from the low waisted flare pants of the early 2000s to the skinny jean obsession of the 2010s. Now, we have come to know that the latest trend of denim is baggy jeans. Although wearing pants that are loose around the leg does not seem very flattering, we will demonstrate to you how you can elevate this item of clothing to create a “fit” that will have everyone’s head turning.

Now, let’s begin with styling a casual everyday outfit. Pair your favorite baggy jeans with a basic neutral t-shirt or vintage tee, accessorize with your go-to jewelry, and finish the look off with a complementary pair of sneakers. Since we are currently in the cooler months of the year, we would swap the t-shirt for a comfy sweater or a long sleeve top that we can tuck into the jean. You can get pretty creative with layering this basic denim item, so we wouldn’t hesitate to add a puffer jacket or long coat for extra warmth.

Although wearing a baggy jean does not seem like a wearable going out item, if styled with the right pieces it can look effortlessly chic. Here’s how to accomplish this look: grab your favorite pair of baggy jeans (we would select a darker wash for this look) and wear a bodysuit or fancier top. To avoid the look becoming frumpy, we would opt for a smaller or more minimalistic clothing top. A silk button down tucked in would work amazing as well! We recommend accessorizing with statement jewelry and a matching bag. The perfect pair of kitten heels, loafers, or booties would provide the right amount of “dress-up.” For the evening hours, we would layer with an oversized leather blazer. 

Don’t let this amazing, staple piece of denim be placed in the bottom of your closet! Go find yourself a pair and get creative!

Ava Rudolph

Fairfield '25

Ava Rudolph is a first-year student at Fairfield University who is majoring in marketing. She is from Portsmouth, Rhode Island.