How to Organize Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Organizing your dorm room may be one of the hardest tasks at college. It’s stressful making rounds to Walmart, Target, The Container Store, or Bed Bath & Beyond to check out the latest dorm room accessories. We have so many belongings to fit into a small, shared space that it’s difficult to keep your room uncluttered. Here are some useful tips that will have your room looking spotless and spacious.

The ultimate goal of any dorm room arrangement is to maximize your space. Your first step should be to designate certain spots for specific belongings and necessities. Underneath your bed is your best bet for storage, and there is no better way to make the most of this open space than standard plastic storage drawers. Your clothes will be neatly organized in the drawers and easy to find when you are in a rush to get to your morning class on time. If you do not need extra clothing space, you can even use these plastic drawers to store towels or food.

One way to arrange your armoire is to try closet organizers. You can separate accessories like scarves and belts, and keep them from getting mixed together. These will attach to the bar used for clothes hangers and they will act as mock shelves for accessories that are not meant to hang.

One motto collegiettes live by is that you can never have too many shoes. Instead of having your shoes pile up on the floor, consider storing them in a basket. Again, this will fit right under your bed and all your shoes will be kept together in one place. And don’t forget to invest in a set of bed risers, these are a necessity in college and a great way to make the most of your under the bed space.

With all of our different electronics, it feels like we are constantly untangling different cords and wires. In order to prevent these wires from getting intertwined with one another, set up an electronic charging station on your desk. All of your chargers will be located in one place, and you will never be frustrated by a tangled wire again.

Now that your desk is perfectly organized with enough space left to do work, move on to your desk drawers. Utilize desk drawers to store textbooks, notebooks, and different school supplies. Try out desk organizers so you can avoid creating junk drawers.

You are bound to rearrange your room several times before coming across the perfect setup, but you will be able to breathe a sigh of relief once your room is organized, and you can embrace a new lifestyle that is clutter free and productive. 

Hi, I'm Christina! I am currently a junior here at Fairfield University majoring in Communications and minoring in Marketing. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus Fairfield team, and I look forward to writing articles for the News and Blog sections. Always follow your dreams and do what you love!
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!