Style > Beauty

HOW I USE MY HAIR ROLLERS TO ACHIEVE THE PERFECT BLOWOUT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Hey there, beauty enthusiasts! If you’ve ever struggled to achieve that coveted salon-worthy blowout in the comfort of your own home, you’re not alone. I used to be a blowout skeptic, thinking that only the pros could create a flawless look, but after a bit of trial and error (and a few hours spent scouring YouTube), I realized that blowing out your hair is actually quite simple. The secret? Hair rollers! Below is my go-to roller routine that leaves me with a bombshell blowout for hours! 

Prep and Products

Before we dive into the roller game, let’s talk prep. Clean, dry hair is essential, so make sure your hair is freshly washed and completely dry before you start. To prep my hair, I like to spritz on some heat protectant spray to shield my locks..Personally I use Great Barrier Heat by The Beachwaver Co, but any should be fine. 

Now, here’s where the magic begins – it’s time to choose your hair rollers! There are various sizes and materials to pick from: Velcro, foam, or even the vintage hot rollers. I’m all about the Velcro rollers. I love the Drybar High Tops Self-Grip Rollers because they grip my hair without any pins and I can easily take them out without causing any tangles.

The Rolling Technique

• Section It Up: Divide your hair into manageable sections. The number of sections will depend on the thickness of your hair. The finer your hair, the more sections you’ll want to create.
  • Roll It Up: Take a small section of hair and wrap it around the roller. Start at the ends and roll upward toward the roots, making sure the hair is taut but not too tight. Secure the roller in place.
  • Heat It Up: If you have the time, you can sit under a hooded dryer for a gentle heat treatment. If not, you can use your blow dryer on a medium setting, ensuring even heat distribution.
  • Cool Down: After the heat, give your rollers time to cool down. This step is crucial for setting the style. While you wait, you can sip on your favorite beverage, do your makeup, or even catch up on some reading. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
  • Release and Tease: Gently unwind each roller, and voila – you’ll be greeted with fabulous, bouncy curls. Run your fingers through your hair for a more relaxed look or use a teasing brush for extra volume.

The Finishing Touch

To finish off your blowout, a light spritz of hairspray will keep your look in place all day long. Don’t overdo it – you want your hair to remain touchably soft.

And there you have it – the secret to my at-home perfect blowout! By using hair rollers, I’ve managed to transform my hair from ‘blah’ to ‘bam’ without a trip to the salon. So next time you’re looking to impress with a fabulous hairdo, just roll with it and enjoy your own salon-quality blowout. Happy styling! 

XO,

Nicole

I am a sophomore student attending Fairfield University. I am currently majoring in Marketing, and minoring in psychology and Spanish. I love going for long walks and baking!
Nicole Dostalek

Fairfield '26

I am thrilled to be a part of the vibrant team at "Her Campus," a magazine that epitomizes creativity and empowerment. As a sophomore in college majoring in Marketing, my journey into the world of writing has been nothing short of exciting, and I am eager to contribute my unique perspective to this fantastic platform. Currently in my second year of college, I am pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Marketing at Fairfield University. My educational background has equipped me with a deep understanding of consumer behavior, market trends, and effective communication strategies. I am excited to apply these skills to my role as a student writer, where I will be able to explore the intersection of marketing and the diverse range of topics that "Her Campus" covers. Beyond my academic interests, I have a multitude of passions that have shaped my identity and outlook on life. Fashion, makeup, and baking are not just hobbies but forms of self-expression for me. I find immense joy in experimenting with different styles, makeup looks, and creating delectable treats in the kitchen. In addition to my creative pursuits, I am an avid runner. Running has been my sanctuary, a space where I can challenge myself both mentally and physically. It teaches me resilience, discipline, and the importance of setting and achieving goals. Joining the "Her Campus" community is a thrilling opportunity to blend my passion for marketing with my love for fashion, makeup, baking, and running. I am excited to share my insights, experiences, and discoveries with the magazine's readers, while also learning from the incredible women who make this publication possible.