How I’m Sticking to My New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

2018 has been dubbed the “year of self-love” by many, and that is why my new year’s resolution is to focus on me and be the best version of myself I can be.

It’s easy to lose your focus on a resolution throughout the year, though. I often struggle to keep up with my resolutions as the year goes on. This year I am challenging myself to become the girl-boss I know I can be, and this is how I plan on doing it!

Journaling

Journaling is a great way to empty all your thoughts and feelings into one spot. It is a great way to organize your thoughts and give yourself a secure place to say anything you want. You can even create a list of all your goals and resolutions for the year in the beginning of your journal, so every time you open it, you’re inspired! I like to journal every night before I go to bed to unwind and reflect on my day.

Create a Vision Board

Turn on some music, grab your best friends, and create vision boards! Cut up pictures, words, fashion, quotes, and anything that inspires you and create a collage with them on either a bulletin board or a picture frame. Hang it up in your room and it will work as a visual reminder of what goals you want to achieve this year! Not only does it remind you what you’re working for, but it is also super cute and acts as super cheap dorm décor!

More Me-Time

Nothing is more important than taking a step back from the stress of school, sports, and work to relax and focus on yourself for a bit. Some of my favorite ways to unwind are face masks, reading, taking short study breaks, and going to a cute café. It doesn’t have to be anything too extravagant; just something that will take your mind off anything that is causing a bit of stress in your life.

Try a New Hobby

Find something new that challenges you and is a lot of fun. Whether this new hobby is dancing, starting a blog, finding a new club, or volunteering; there are plenty of new things to try! Find time every day for your new hobby to give yourself a chance to do something you’re passionate about and that makes you happy.

Cut Out Negativity

2018 is a new year, meaning it brings a new energy into your life. It is important to put out your own positive energy into the world. While it can be hard to shut out all negativity in your life, we should all be taking strides to be more positive and make the world a more welcoming, and open place for everyone. I am a firm believer in karma – what you put into the world will come back to you, so put out a positive energy!

Treat Yourself

While it is important to be a go-getter and tackle the world with a ferocious energy, it is also important to reward yourself for all the good that you’ve done! Grab an iced coffee after a hard test, or buy a new pair of leggings for some gym inspo! Reward yourself for all the stressful things that you conquer!

Happy New Year, Stags!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com