How to Host an Oscar’s Themed Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

There’s nothing we collegiettes love more than a good party, especially if there is a special occasion. With the Academy Awards coming up this Sunday, there’s no better excuse to throw a college version of a Hollywood party. Here are some ideas to create your own award-winning soirée to rival the ones the stars attend.

1. Create Your Own Ballots

Have everyone at your party cast their votes for their favorite nominees. Create your own ballot boxes for each award category by decorating paper bags with themed supplies. You can see if any of your predictions come true!

2. Rate the Dresses

Make watching the red carpet fun by creating fashion scorecards. When a new actress comes on the screen, everyone can hold up their vote deciding on how fashionable they think the dress is. 

3. Dress Code

Hosting an Oscars themed party allows for many different kinds of dress codes. Depending on you and your guests, you can choose to dress up in fancy attire and emulate your favorite stars. If you’re looking for a more unique dress code, have all of your friends come over in pajamas and pearls! It gives your party a laid back feel, but still includes a little bit of class. Another dress code idea is having guests dress up as their favorite Hollywood actors or movie characters. It’s so much fun to see who people will show up as!

4. Easy and Fun Decorations

Keeping a consistent color scheme is a must when you’re throwing a themed party. Any decorations involving gold, silver, black or red are perfect for the Academy Awards. Party stores sell big, bright balloons in the shape of stars as well as flatware in the same color scheme. Using the same colors on all of the decorations creates the perfect atmosphere at your party. Don’t forget the red carpet!

5. Scrumptious Food

Instead of making one big meal, try serving multiple appetizers. Hors d’oeuvres are a fun way to eat while making it more of a social activity. Some party classics include pigs in a blanket, chicken wings and chips and dip. If you want a fancier selection you can include brushetta, deviled eggs or sushi for more enticing options. 

Hi! I'm Gabi, and I'm a Senior at Fairfield University. I'm an English major with a concentration in Journalism, as well as minors in Communication and Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. My hobbies include singing, theatre and swimming, and my favorite animals are Lobsters!! You can always catch me reading, preferably by the ocean, or dancing like an idiot with my girlfriends. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.