How Girls Can Stay Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Although girls are never to blame for being victimized, it is extremely important to stay safe when walking around campus at night.

These strategies can be applied whether you are leaving a late night study session at the library or are coming back from a townhouse party. Please stay safe, ladies!

Be aware of your surroundings

This means not looking down at your phone or listening to music while you walk back to your dorm. A predator is more likely to approach a victim if she looks at all vulnerable.

Implement the buddy system

Go to the library with one of your friends and vow to leave together. This can also be applied to going to a party – stick with your friends to ensure that no one is left behind and stuck in a tough situation.

Take advantage of DPS

The Department of Public Safety offers free rides across campus. If you feel uncomfortable walking at night or are without a buddy, give them a call and them will be there to drive you to your destination within a few minutes.

Fairfield’s DPS phone number is (203)254-4090. Make sure that they are in your contacts so that you can reach them with ease. Their job is to keep you safe.

Go with your gut

If you are you placed in an uncomfortable situation, do not be afraid to speak up. Verbalize your discomfort, and also take advantage of the Blue Light system on campus if necessary.

Use precautions at parties

Given that you are over 21, carry your drink with you to ensure that nothing is dropped into it. If you put it down, leave it. As a rule of thumb, also try to avoid the “jungle juice”. You never know exactly what was put into it.

Keeping track of what you drink will also ensure that you will maintain control.

Make sure your phone is charged

If you are coming back from a party, make sure your phone is charged up so you can connect with friends if you get separated or call an Uber if needed.

Always have emergency cash on you

For as long as I can remember my mother has reminded to always have extra cash on me, because debit and credit cards sometimes do not work in a crunch. This will ensure that you can always get a ride home if need be.

Watch out for other girls

If you are feeling uncomfortable, or you see another girl nearby looking this way, do not hesitate to approach her. If you see a guy all over a girl who has had a little too much at a party, be sure to approach her to be sure that she is okay. Girls need to stick together!

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.