How to Form Good Relationships With Your Professors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

At Fairfield we are lucky to have an available group of professors who take the time to know every student’s name, and are willing to get to know them on a personal level. This is one of the many pros that make Fairfield appealing to perspective students. Here is the best way maximize this opportunity:

Go to office hours!I cannot stress the importance of going to office hours! Professors have designated hours just to answer any questions students may have. Whether it’s about last night’s homework, something you didn’t understand in the lecture, or just to chat.

Participate in class.Is there anything more awkward than when the professor asks a question during class and no one answers? Be the one to alleviate the discomfort and offer an answer. Even if your answer is wrong, the professor will still appreciate your effort.

Make real world connections.There is nothing professors love more than when their students go the extra mile. Show them that the material being taught really matters, by applying it to the real world. While scrolling through your Twitter feed, maybe keep an eye out for an interesting article to bring to class or to add as a part of a class assignment.

Chat with them before or after class.It’s a fact that professors love what they teach. They, most likely, spent a vast majority of their education becoming experts about what they are teaching. Talk about something you found particularly interesting in last night’s reading or just ask them a quick question about class that day.

Courteous emails only please!As approachable or easy going as professors might be, remember that you’re not talking to friends, you’re talking to an educator. A little politeness and professionalism goes a long way. Professors appreciate it more than you know.

Professors just want to know that you care. Show interest in the material and be present in class. Most professors are more than willing to take the extra time and get to know their students, just make sure to demonstrate the extra effort! 

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant