element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Holiday Gift Guide for the Beauty Lover in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Oh the holidays, the best time of year to snuggle up next to a warm fire, drink hot chocolate, and spend exuberant amounts of money on the ones you love. There are two types of gifts that you can give: those that get used everyday and those that sit at the bottom of a closet collecting dust. Avoid giving the latter with this guide of irresistible gifts perfect for the beauty lover in your life.

1. Winter Garden by Lush

Where do I even start with this one? Lush has some of the best skin care products on the market. All of their items are organic, made from fresh ingredients, cruelty-free, and almost all of the products are vegan. The store can be a little overwhelming, but what’s great about Winter Garden is that it’s already packaged and ready to go when you buy it. At $37.95, Winter Garden seems pricey, but when you factor getting five different items into the cost, it’s a steal. The products cover a range of uses: Rose Jam is a sweet floral body wash that can double as a shampoo, Rub-Rub is a delicately floral bar-exfoliant, Gorgeous and Dream Cream are both incredible moisturizers, and Snowcake is a soap that smells like sweet marzipan and almonds. (Left to right: Rose Jam, Rub-Rub, Gorgeous, Dream Cream, Snowcake.)

2. 100% Pure Argan Oil by Josie Maran

What’s worse than dry weather in the winter? Dry skin. We all know that even the oiliest of our companions can shrivel up during the long winter months. If anything, those of us with oily complexions are even hesitant to moisturize no matter how dry or crackly we feel. We are always told oil is bad for our skin, which just simply isn’t true.

Oil is only bad for our skin when it’s in excess or when it isn’t clean, such as the oil you produce when you sweat. I am a personal advocate for using cleansing oils and pure oil for moisturizers; I’m especially an advocate for the Josie Maran line of oils. You can buy most of her products– the 100% pure argan oil included– in different sizes, perfect for stocking stuffers or samples for the non-believers. The oil is cold pressed making sure that the most nutrients stay behind with the least amount of contaminants. Easily absorbed by the skin, argan oil is special in that the particles are small enough to be absorbed but will not clog pores, creating luminous, breathable soft skin. For $16 you can buy the 0.5 oz. mini bottle which, trust me, is more than enough for at least a few months.

3. Naked 3 Palette by Urban Decay

No matter how soft your skin is or how great you smell, nothing quite finishes you off like a great shadow, or in this case twelve. A long loyal fan of the Naked 2 palette, I have been eyeing the Naked 3 for quite some time. Departing from its predecessor’s gold and copper tones, the Naked 3 palette is filled with soft blush pinks and rose golds. Perfect for a New Year’s Eve look, the palette has a perfect balance between shimmer, satin, and matte shadows in a range of shades. Coming in at $54 this palette is a little on the pricey side but so worth it. Urban Decay has high pigment shadows that last forever.

4. Stay Sexy Clearing Set by Glamglow

Alright big spenders, this one is for you. Indulge your loved one in a luxurious Mediterranean-clay cleanser paired with a detoxifying charcoal mud-mask for flawless skin, for the price of $69. This gift set will make someone very happy this holiday season. Glamglow has been a huge hit in the beauty world over the past few years with some of the best face masks on the market. Using the purest ingredients, Glamglow has several types of masks for all skin types. Stay Sexy is a rejuvenating combo-care system that deep cleans your pores and gets rid of dead dull skin for that perfect dewy complexion. Sure it’s a little pricey, but you can’t put a price on love and whoever is on the receiving end of this gift WILL love you.

5. Shea Butter Foot Cream by L’Occitane

Feet are often our long forgotten and neglected features. They bear the weight of our lives and carry us great distances and it’s time we show them some TLC. This Shea Butter Foot Cream by L’Occitane, will get rid of the days of cracked heels and peeling soles. This cream is thick and a little goes a long way. With a soft fragrance of lavender and shea, the rich buttery cream will leave your little piggies plush all winter long. Coming in two different sizes, this is a buy you won’t regret, especially if your loved one is a fan of foot massages.

6. Day and Night by Velour Lashes

Now I know what you’re thinking, eyelashes really? Why would I buy someone false lashes, aren’t those cheap and break after one use? Generally speaking yes, but you’ve never tried Velour Lashes. Most of their lashes are made from cruelty-free mink hair, which makes the most lightweight, soft, and luxurious lashes you will ever see. For any of you concerned about the mink or lacking the funds, fear not, Velour also offers a wide range of silk lashes for half the cost. This holiday bundle with two pairs of lashes is pretty much a buy one, get one free; most of their mink lashes cost between $35-$50 for one pair. This bundle is two pairs for $50! Pair these with the Naked 3 Urban Decay palette and you have a look that will steal the show, no matter the occasion.

7. Shine So Bright by Lush

Hello Lush, old friend, so good to see you again. We’ve talked about dry skin, but what about your hair? Our lovely locks need their fair share of winter hydration just like the rest of our body. This supple and rich hair balm contains coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, and free-range eggs to give life to straw-like ends. Fun fact about the main ingredients: coconut oil is the only oil with particles small enough to fully penetrate the hair shaft, moisturizing the outside and the inside of the hair while eggs are full of fats that help improve hair luster. For $9.95 you can’t go wrong with this gift; with soft citrusy notes of orange and grapefruit this balm will work for guys and girls alike.

8. Powder Contour Kit by Anastasia Beverly Hills

While a real tan from actual sunlight would be nice, this time of year it’s unreasonable to expect that, and it’s unhealthy to use a tanning bed. Thankfully, contour kits like this come with a wide range of bronzers and highlighters to achieve that not-so-sunny sun-kissed glow. The Anastasia Beverly Hills palette is a personal favorite of makeup artists, as well as mine. The powders blend easily, are highly pigmented, and are not as drying as others on the market. Coming in two palette shades of either light-medium and medium-dark for $40 you can’t go wrong. Guaranteed to last you through the long winter months and then some, this is a highly recommended buy for anyone.

Makeup and bird fanatic. Her hobbies include painting, sleeping, eating, and binge-watching Netflix. Has a great sense of humor and loves animals.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.