Career > Her20s

Her Campus: fairfield university’s play like a girl spotlight interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

“Play Like a Girl”  has been seen as an insult, holding negative connotations in sports throughout history. In 2004, Kimberealy Clay founded the Play Like a Girl nonprofit organization, her aim was to encourage girls to play sports while also empowering their career choice. Clay wanted to take the negative stigma around the phrase, and enable women to be proud of  “playing like a girl.” At Fairfield University, we have the honor to have a Play Like a Girl (PLAG) club. I sat down with the Presidents, Theresa Hageott and Haley Giannettino along with Social Media Marketing Coordinator, Katie Sliney, to get insight on Fairfield’s PLAG chapter, and their plans for the 2022-23 school year. 

Theresa and Haley both described the PLAG Club as “a club that works to promote  health and wellness for college females.” This club’s initiative influences many members to join, while also encouraging leadership to hold their positions. I was curious and asked Katie (SM Marketing Coordinator) and Theresa (President), 

“What made you decide to be in the positions you currently hold and what do you like most about them?”

TH: “I joined the club my freshman year and really enjoyed being a part of a club that brought girls together like PLAG did. For that reason, I wanted to have a role in the club to create a welcoming environment for other girls coming to Fairfield.”

KS: I am a marketing minor and take interest in the marketing side of this club, in addition to my love for interaction with others through the use of social media. I have a creative eye and am good at engaging people on Instagram; that’s where my role lies heaviest. 

PLAG advocates for young women while also allowing them to take leadership roles within the club and organization to strengthen their skills and find their passions. 

During the 2022-23 School Year, Fairfield U’s PLAG Club will be hosting a plethora of events and meetings, which include fitness classes (on and off campus) as well as social events like movie nights, baking, etc. Another thing to look out for is Katie’s weekly Instagram posts on the PLAG Instagram. These include, Wellness Wednesday and Fitness Friday, “allowing followers to stay in touch with the club by engaging in activities such as workouts, healthy meal prep, etc.” (KS).

Thinking about joining PLAG?

The leadership team expresses, 

“PLAG is a low commitment club looking to have an event at least once a month. We are a club that is looking to meet new people, and aim to be a group of girls who are fun and supportive and will help underclassmen acclimate to the Fairfield community.” 

Finally, I acknowledge that PLAG, as a nonprofit organization, encourages girls to empower themselves in day to day life, in sports, and in their career, etc. I wondered, how Theresa, Haley and Katie felt the most empowered?

TH: What empowers me is the fact that I feel like I am making a difference for girls coming to Fairfield. College can be intimidating and if I get the chance to make the experience more comfortable for others, that would make me feel most empowered. 

HG: Something that makes me feel empowered is the ability to stay active with my family and friends and empower other girls at Fairfield to do so as well. When I run I feel so empowered. I am thinking of making a running club through PLAG where you can sign up and run to the beach all together! I think this would be a great way for girls to stay active and meet new people!!

KS: Something that makes me feel the most empowered is the ability to be active and find ways to help my body feel good. Whether that be through cooking a healthy meal or going for a walk on one of Fairfield many beaches, getting out and being active makes my day feel so much more productive and strong

Fairfield University’s PLAG Club unquestionably advocates for their members and community. Bringing them together and cultivating a strong balance and influence of health and wellness in their day to day lives. This club’s approach helps erase the negativity in the phrase “play like a girl” and advocates for young women to do whatever they set their mind to. 

Thank you Theresa, Haley, and Katie for bringing light to PLAG!

MK Kalenak

Fairfield '25

Hi! I'm MK Kalenak! I'm a sophomore Public Relations & Digital Journalism Major and Finance Minor at Fairfield U from PGH, PA <3