MGM
Sex + Relationships

Healthy Ways to Get Over Your Ex and Move on with Your Love Life

“Breakups are tough” is an understatement. Although they’re absolutely terrible, they don’t have to be. Here are some healthy and beneficial ways to get over your ex, and move on!

1. Cut them off

Cut off all communication. Brutal? 100%. It’s so hard talking to someone you’re trying to move on from because there are strings with no end, boundaries, or commitment. Cutting off all communication with a person leaves no strings attached, which allows you to go into your next phase without anything holding you back. 

1.  “What’s your name again?”

Words hold meaning, something as simple as hearing a person’s name can turn into a spiral of memories. Everytime their name pops up somewhere, your mind begins to wander. Completely disregard them, don’t let others or an ex phase you. The less their name is brought up, the less it will occur in your mind. 

1. The Reality Check

Breakups are tough, there’s no easy way to get through them. Our mind focuses so much on the “what ifs” rather than the reality in front of us. Understanding the true reality/gravity of a breakup helps. Your prerogative may be journaling, talking, or simply crying. All these things will give a sense of reality, which will help you move forward with a better outlook. 

1. Develop a New Routine 

The breakup “reality check” may show you how much time you spent on the person you were once with. Find what makes you happy. If it’s going out every night, do it. If it’s studying all day, do it. If it’s talking to someone new, do it, etc. Spend your time how you want, with structure, or without. As long as you’re happy, then that’s all that matters. 

1. Friends, Friends, Friends

Hanging out with your friends may be your way of maximizing your time in your new routine! Some breakups stem from an unhealthy relationship or factors of one, so expose yourself to the healthy relationships in your life, like your best friends or closest family members, 

1. Moving On.

Lastly, moving on from someone you care deeply for is the hardest part. As much as you try, you may still find yourself thinking about them. Even if you do the first five things, you may still be sad, so let yourself feel what you need to feel. Never let others or an ex make you feel like you need to catch up on dating, or “move on” before you’re ready. Ignore the, “get back out there” or “there’s plenty of fish in the sea”  until you are truly ready. Take the time you need, don’t rush the process or jump into someone new because you feel like you have to.

Take care of yourself, and your heart!

MK Kalenak

Fairfield '25

Hi! I'm MK Kalenak! I'm a freshman at Fairfield U, I'm a Sports Media Major from PGH, PA :) I love to go shopping, do yoga, & meet new people <3