Gucci Hosts The First Ever Mixed Gender Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

According to The New York Times, Gucci made a major step towards gender equality on April 5th, 2016. Last week, the luxury brand’s chief executive Marco Bizzari said that single sex fashion shows are a thing of the past now for Gucci.

“Moving to one show each season will significantly help to simplify many aspects of our business.” Mr. Bizzarri said. “Maintaining two separate, disconnected calendars has been a result of tradition rather than practicality.” Typically, the men and women’s fashion shows take place during different parts of the year, so this could create a new sense of efficiency for Gucci.

Brands similar to Gucci such as Burberry and Tom Ford are taking a similar stance on this issue, and are set to have their own mixed gender fashion shows in the coming months.

Whether having one show was created with the intention of being radical or economically efficient, the event is trailblazing nonetheless. Gender in the year 2016 is not as simple as male and female anymore, so Gucci and others perhaps with the intention to streamline their calendar, have managed to merge fashion and gender together while also keeping up with the world that we live in today. 

Photo taken from The New York Times.

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant