andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Friends vs. Boyfriend: What to do When Your Friends Don’t Approve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It can be quite awkward when your friends disapprove of your boyfriend. It’s a constant battle between trying to figure out their reasoning and actually seeing what they are talking about, considering you are probably head-over-heals for this guy. Fortunately, there are a couple of things you can do when you are in this situation.

Talk to your friends.

Try to grasp a better understanding of why they disapprove. Your friends have your best interests at heart and sometimes just feel that you deserve better. Talking to them may open your eyes to something you never saw, since he’s just the most charming guy you’ve ever met. If you still see nothing wrong with the relationship, try to express your feelings to them and see if you can change their minds a little or at least have them respect your decision.

Get them together.

Although it may be awkward at first you must be able to be around both your man and your girls at the same time. It is very hard to avoid, especially once in a serious relationship. Don’t force a bond that will never be there but a small chat can help form a respectful relationship. Maybe this will change their opinion on him but you will never know unless you try.

Outsider’s opinion.

Try going to someone you trust, but will not be biased. Your mom is definitely a good option, because we all know that mom knows best. She’ll probably be able to give you good advice on how to handle the situation, since she is wiser and has more experience.

Screw it.

You’re in love with this guy, and he feels the same way. Leave it be. It would be a shame to let a good relationship go because of the disapproval of your friends. Never choose the guy over them, but don’t kick him to the curb for them either.

I am a current freshman, majoring in Marketing, here at Fairfield. I love anything to do with Netflix, Blogging, Shopping, and Food.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.