Fortune Names Taylor Swift One of the World’s Greatest Female Leaders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

“Taylor Swift didn’t become the highest-paid woman in the music business by accident.” Fortune Magazine released this statement when they named her The World’s Greatest Female Leader and gave her the coveted spot on their April 2015 addition on The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.

From winning the 2012 BMA Woman of the Year award to being named ELLE’s 2015 Woman of the Year, there was no stopping Swift from taking her achievements one step further.

It’s clear that Taylor Swift is more than just a singer-songwriter and she has proven so throughout the years as she transformed from a country gal to one of the worlds biggest celebrities. Swift is no stranger to winning awards when it comes to her music, but now, she has awards that celebrate who she is beyond her music.

Next to 50 of the most influential leaders of our time, including the CEO of Apple, Tim Cook, the president of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi, and even the Pope of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis, stands Taylor Swifts, strong and proud.

According to Fortune, “Pop’s savviest star has crossed swords with Spotify, embraced corporate sponsorship, and moved to secure dozens of trademarks (including phrases like “This sick beat”)—plus she has proved shrewder at honing a brand in the social media age than virtually any other person or company. And she’s done it without resorting to dumbed-down salacious gimmickry. (Swift, ahem, is arguably the anti–Miley Cyrus.)”

In addition, Fortune has recognized that Swift’s top-selling album, 1989, strengthened her controversial stand against having her music being downloaded freely without consequence. By doing so, not only has Swift taken a stand against one of the music industries top companies, but she also stood up for artists of all genres of music whose work is being exploited by free streaming.

The list of The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders is said by Fortune to show that “these extraordinary men and women are transforming business, government, and so much more.” When it comes to Taylor Swift, we fully support her and are looking forward to the many more achievements she will receive in the future. 

Camille Giacovas is a sophomore at Fairfield University with an International Studies major and an English minor with a concentration in Professional Writing.  She dreams of traveling the world and she strongly believes in the power of living a positive life. She is a lover of hot yoga, running and finding the little things in life that bring her joy. Her mornings would not be complete without a chai tea latte. 
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.