This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Breaking news, fashion world! The first details have been released for the 2020 Met Gala. The ~Met Gala~ is one of the most highly anticipated fashion events of the year. The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art hosts the event every year. It’s the opportunity to show off your creativity and let your imagination go wild.

According to Andrew Bolton, the Costume Institute’s curator, the theme this year is titled About Time: Fashion and Duration. Bolton discussed with The New York Times “Fashion is indelibly connected to time. It not only reflects and represents the spirit of the times, but it also changes and develops with the times.” 

The inspiration behind the 150th anniversary of the event can be credited to the works of Virginia Woolf and early 20th-century French philosopher Henri Bergson. The theme is specifically influenced by the 1992 film Orlando, which is based on Virginia Woolf’s novel. Bolton intends on merging objective time (calendar years) with subjective time (moments of creativity). 

About Time: Fashion and Duration will be hosted by Nicolas Ghesquière, the designer behind Louis Vuitton; Emma Stone; Meryl Streep, who starred in The Hours, a story inspired by Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway; Lin-Manuel Miranda; and Vogue’s Anna Wintour.

The 2020 Met Gala will take place on May 7, the first Monday of May. As the event gets closer, more details will most likely be released. Mark your calendars, Collegiettes! This is an event you do not want to miss!

Danielle Vazzano is a senior at Fairfield University and is from New York City. She is majoring in English/Professional Writing and minoring in Politics and Catholic Studies. Some of her favorite things include hanging out with friends, reading, and exploring. She studied abroad in Florence, Italy during the Spring 2019 semester.
Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.