Fight For Air Climbs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

We take for granted the feeling of filling our lungs with air as we inhale and take a deep breath, and then the stress release of slowly exhaling. We tend to forget that each day many people struggle to take a breath on their own. The American Lung Association’s Fight For Air Climb strives to spread awareness and raise money for this issue. Their mission states:

“We climb for those who are ‘Fighting For Air’, we climb for our friends and loved ones who suffer from lung cancer, the leading cancer killer, we climb for those whose asthma makes even the simple act of breathing difficult, we climb for those that can’t breathe on their own.”

The Fight For Air Climb is one of the American Lung Association’s most well known fundraising events. These events are held in over 65 cities across the United States. People of all ages come together to challenge themselves to climb the stairs of various skyscrapers, stadiums, or arenas across the country. Many tackle these steps individually or with a team to meet their personal fitness goals and to participate in the effort to defeat lung disease.

The Fight For Air Climb takes place in Fairfield University’s backyard each year at Trump Parc, located in Stamford, CT. This year the event was held on Saturday, November 22, 2014. People lined up early in the morning to begin the climb. The positive energy amongst participants filled the air as people awaited their designated time slot to race up the stairs of Trump Parc. Each participant bolts up the stairs at their own pace. Trump Parc consists of 33 flights of stairs, consisting of 571 steps total. As participants make their way to the top, one experiences an indescribable feeling as it noticeably gets harder to breathe. In a sense, this feeling resembles the feeling like those who suffer from lung disease, or other lung impairments.

Participants describe this as a remarkable experience that is unlike any other. Although this fundraiser is a challenge, you not only raise money and awareness for a great cause, but also accomplish something you never thought you could. Last year alone, Fight For Air Climbs around the United States raised over $7 million, which will benefit research to defeat lung disease and discover a cure. 

Hi, I'm Christina! I am currently a junior here at Fairfield University majoring in Communications and minoring in Marketing. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus Fairfield team, and I look forward to writing articles for the News and Blog sections. Always follow your dreams and do what you love!
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!