andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fairfield University Sweethearts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

They say you are supposed to find your bridesmaids during your college years, but in the back of every girl’s mind, we are all wondering if we will ever meet that special someone in one of our classes or at a beach darty one day. The chances are slim and the odds are definitely against us, but get ready to believe in love again because for these two soulmates, they were able to find it. Erin and Jack fell in love on our beautiful campus and never looked back.

Erin (Gray) Callahan ‘05 & Jack Callahan ‘05

While at Fairfield University

Her Hometown and State:  Nashua, NH

His Hometown and State:  Cold Spring Harbor, NY

Her Major:  English (concentration in Journalism)

His Major: Finance

Her Campus Activities: Campus Mirror columnist

His Campus Activities:  Expert townhouse/beach party hopper

Today

Currently living in:  Garden City, NY

Wedding date:  September 26, 2009

Wedding location:  St. Mary’s church in Bristol, RI; reception at Beechwood Mansion, Newport, RI

Her Career:  7 ½ years as an attorney at the New York City Department of Environmental Protection; transitioned to underwriting environmental risk, first at AIG and now at Ironshore Services

His Career: Started at UBS; currently a corporate bond trader at JP Morgan Asset Management

Baby Girl:  Theresa Elizabeth Callahan; we call her Tess! She’ll be 2 years old in July. 

1. Why did you choose to attend Fairfield U? 

Erin:  I had my heart set on Holy Cross, and I got in!  But Fairfield gave me a nice scholarship, so I figured I’d go visit.  I fell in love with the campus on the back lawn at Bellarmine, and I never looked back!

Jack:  My brother was a senior at Fairfield when I was applying to college.  I knew a number of people that went there, and I had been to visit numerous times.  I loved the campus, the beach, and the whole atmosphere.  My younger sister and my brother’s wife all went to Fairfield, too, so I guess you can say it’s a family tradition at this point!

2. How did you meet?

Erin: I was friends with a guy named Rob, who transferred to Fairfield sophomore year.

Jack: And I was friends with a guy named Joe who transferred to Fairfield sophomore year as well.  Joe and Rob became friends through the transfer program, and we met through them.  We’d always hang out in Campion 108.    

3. Looking back at the moment you met, did you ever think he/she would be your future spouse? 

Erin: Not exactly!  We were friends for a while sophomore year before we started dating. 

Jack: Erin finally realized she wanted to date me when her friends wanted to set me up with someone else!  Erin said ummmmm, no, I don’t think that’s a good idea, and then asked one of my friends whether he thought I would have any interest in dating her.

Erin: His friend said to me, “Oh jeeze, Erin. He’s been in love with you since the day he met you!”  After that, I made it a point to cozy up to him one night when the group was going out to Russells bar (I don’t think it’s there anymore), and the rest is history.  

4. How did he ask you to be his girlfriend? 

Erin: I don’t think we ever had that conversation!!! One night we smooched, and it was just understood from then on that we were together. 

5. Were there any fun dates he took you on in Fairfield, CT?

Erin: Jack and I are pretty low key, so our dates were usually dinner and the movies.  That said, I think we saw basically every movie that came out between 2002 and 2005. The first time I knew I had a keeper on my hands was at the movies. I LOVE movie popcorn. LOVE it! One of the first times Jack and I went to the movies, Jack noticed that I stopped eating my popcorn ¼ of the way through the bag.  He asked me what was wrong, and I told him that there was no more butter after the first layer.  He said “So go ask for more…”  I told him I was too embarrassed to ask for more butter (this was before self-serve butter, and I didn’t want to look like a total fat kid). He said, well I’ll go ask or you  (even though the movie was underway).  He took the bag and came back with a fresh coat of butter, and my adoration. We also went bowling every Wednesday, and frequented the Fairfield Diner a couple mornings a week.  We also used to LOVE going for drives through Westport, especially over by Sasco Hill. 

6. Dating isn’t perfect, did you two experience any “rocky paths” while at Fairfield U? 

Jack: Not really… although when Erin went to Spain during Spring semester of Junior year, I was pretty bummed out. 

Erin: So was his mom when his cell phone bill came in the mail, and she realized Jack had been calling me in Spain directly from his cell!! Yikes.  $$$! He used calling cards after that. Otherwise, we were pretty solid throughout our time at the U. 

7. Many people say college relationships are bad to have. Do you think this is true or actually a good thing? 

Erin: I think college is the perfect time to find love!!!  You are exploring your career path and figuring out what you want to do with your future… why wouldn’t that also include finding the person you want to take your life adventure with!?  Having a relationship through college gave us both stability and confidence.  Also, people tend to choose colleges for the values and priorities highlighted by that school. So if you find someone in college, you’re likely to find someone with a similar value system. I think that’s very important.    

8. Can you name any funny memories while dating at Fairfield U? 

Erin: Many! But one of my favorites was senior year at the Grape.  A girl in one of Jack’s classes said she had come to the bar to celebrate finishing her 10-page paper that they had due the next day. Jack said, “No no, the paper is due NEXT week.”  She said, “No no, it’s due TOMORROW.”  He came and found me playing darts and said, “Erin.  I have a 10 page paper on Mao Zedong due in like 9 hours.”  (It was midnight and we had had a couple of “sodas” at this point…).  We abandoned the Grape and made a break for his beach house, The Undertow. We spent the next 8 ½ hours laughing as we pulled together info on the Chinese dictator, and Jack wrote his paper. Jack put the finishing touches on page 10 as the sun came up. He went to class, and I headed home to my bed (I lived at the Perch; the house at the Point with all the mailboxes on it). He got a B+ and we both realized we were a great team under pressure. 

9. When did you know he was the one? 

Erin: When he came to visit me in Spain. It was two days after the Madrid bombings, but nothing was going to stop Jack from getting to Spain…not even the fact that the airline had screwed up his ticket. Technically, he didn’t have a connecting ticket between Madrid and Sevilla, but he frantically argued with the ticket agent (him in English, her in Spanish) until she finally let him on the plane. He came walking through the airport carrying his duffle bag over his shoulder, and I realized in that moment just how much I had missed him, and how I never wanted to be far from him again!   

10. How did he propose? 

Erin: It was Labor Day weekend a couple of months after I graduated from law school. We drove out to Long Island to take his family’s boat out for a spin like we had done a million times before. He had a bottle of wine and a couple of beers with him for us to sit in the harbor and relax and watch the sunset.  He pulled the boat into a quiet nook in the harbor. He started saying all kinds of sweet things, and I was caught completely by surprise! He got down on one knee and pulled out the ring. I started crying and was speechless, which is totally out of character for me! He kept saying “Erin, say yes!!!!!” Obviously I did! We started calling people to tell them we were engaged. I got through to everyone and poor Jack couldn’t reach anyone.  Eventually he did, and everyone was so excited!  

11. What advice do you have for other girls about dating in college?

Erin: My advice would be applicable to dating, career and life in general: Don’t settle, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself, either!  It may sound corny, but everything happens for a reason.  I think your 20s, particularly when you’re graduating college and right after, are especially tough.  And no one warns you!  You may sit at graduation and have no idea what you want to do.  That’s ok.  You may have met the love of your life, or you may still be looking.  You may be accepted into grad school, or your may be trying to figure out your next step.  Wherever you find yourself… it’s all ok. You are exactly where you’re supposed to be in that moment.  You are the architect of your journey, but have faith that God’s plan will bring you exactly what you need when you need it the most. 

Bottom line:

Recognize your blessings.  Manage your time wisely.  And don’t get caught up in social media… that’s the fastest way to make yourself unhappy. Keep walking; you’re on your own path. 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.