Fairfield University Launches Global Scholars Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fairfield University’s mission is to ensure that each and every one of its students not only becomes a college graduate at the year of four years, but a globalized citizen as well. We live in a world that is so diverse that it is important that students are exposed to different cultures before heading out into the “real world.”

According to Fairfield University’s website, “Global Scholars Program will initially offer undergraduates the opportunity to participate in partially funded interdisciplinary summer internships with organizations located in the Global South. Each short-term, immersive opportunity ranges in length from four to ten weeks and offers students the chance to engage in hands-on, professional job experiences in less traveled countries like Brazil, South Africa, Guatemala and The Gambia.”

The purpose of the Global Scholars program is to allow students to expand their horizons through experiences abroad, and fully prepare themselves to enter a completely globalized and multicultural world.

“Two of the main things that affect students’ abilities to study abroad are time and money,” International Studies Associate Professor Anita Deeg-Carlin explained. “By addressing these obstacles, our program is able to offer these transformative opportunities to a more diverse group of students, opportunities that often end up directing their career paths. ”  

The program was created by the late Dr. Gisela Gil-Egui in 2014, but is now continuing to expand; this is just the beginning. Any student with a GPA of 2.8 or higher can apply into the competitive program now for placement into one of the four pilot locations. 

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant