Wellness > Health

Fairfield U Printing Face Shields for Healthcare Providers in Connecticut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fairfield U engineering students Lily Delmonico ’20, Drew Jobson ’20, Evan Fair ’22 and nursing student Caroline Smith ’21 are using the school’s 3D printers to make free face shields for healthcare workers and hospital employees in the Connecticut area. “We are truly grateful and appreciative of healthcare workers providing care for our community,” the team wrote on their Go Fund Me page. “In an effort to support these individuals and carry out our mission of service to humanity, we have modified the 3DVerkstan model and fabricated 3D printed face shields.” These face shields are reusable and can be cleaned and are distributed in packages of ten.

The team first began making over 30 face shields per day. This week, engineering students Jobson’ 20 and Fair ’22 have been making over 80 headbands per day, but the team needs more donations to make the accompanying plastic face shields. Donations also go towards purchase of filament, packaging for sanitary shipment. “We are looking to connect with local healthcare workers. Our engineering and nursing students on this team are working every day to produce these masks, so anything to help would be greatly appreciated,” Delmonico ‘20, bioengineering major, philosophy and mathematics minor, wrote on the Fairfield U Class of 2020 Facebook page.

At this moment, Delmonico ‘20, Jobson ‘20, Fair ’22, and Smith ’21 are working towards the production of 400 shields. The shields will be sent to hospitals and nursing homes such as the Greenwich Hospital ER and Little Sister of the Poor Nursing Home. In the midst of this pandemic, this team of students is working hard to help our healthcare workers.  

If you would like to donate to the production of reusable face shields for healthcare workers, please visit the group’s Go Fund Me page here. If you’re a healthcare worker in the CT area, please sign up here in order to receive reusable face shields at your hospital, clinic, or nursing home.

​For more information, please contact: 

lilliana.delmonico@student.fairfield.edu 

caroline.smith1@student.fairfield.edu 

Mimi Loughlin

Fairfield '20

Mimi Loughlin is majoring in English/Digital Journalism. She also writes for The Fairfield Mirror, Fairfield University's student newspaper: http://fairfieldmirror.com/author/mimi-loughlin/. Mimi is happy to be part of the Her Campus team at Fairfield! :)
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.