Culture > News

Fairfield’s Women’s Volleyball Team Wins the MAAC Championship!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

After months of hard work and training, the Stags won the 2019 MAAC title with a 3-1 win over Quinnipiac on Sunday at Alumni Hall! 

With her arms strong and her mind focused, Kaylie Butts ‘21 delivered the final kill that propelled the Stags to the 2019 NCAA Volleyball Tournament.

Manuela Nicolini ‘20, the 2019 MAAC Volleyball Championship Most Valuable Player, had 39 helpers, 14 digs, and 10 blocks for a triple-double, when a player has a double-digit number total during one match in at least three of five categories: aces, kills, blocks, digs, and assists. These triple-doubles are rare and a marker of extreme talent!

Luci Albertson, Mayda Garcia, Joelle Battles and Laura Seeger all had double-digit kills, a marker of the strength and power of Fairfield Volleyball. Albertson and Garcia were also MAAC All-Tournament Team selections alongside Nicolini ‘20.

This year marks Women’s Volleyball’s 11th trip to the NCAA Championship and their fourth NCAA Championship in 5 years. On Friday, December 6th, the team will travel to Minneapolis to play seventh-seeded and #8 nationally-ranked Minnesota in the NCAA Championship First Round.  Fairfield currently has a 24-5 season record. Minnesota is 23-5 overall and had a 17-3 record in the Big Ten. This will be the first game ever between the Fairfield Stags and Minnesota Golden Gophers. The Stag spirit will be strong as the teams face off for the title! 

The first serve from Maturi Pavilion is set for 8 p.m. Eastern time and you can watch it live on broadcast! To learn more, visit FairfieldStags.com and follow @StagsVB on Twitter as our Stags start their 2019 NCAA postseason adventure!

Mimi Loughlin

Fairfield '20

Mimi Loughlin is majoring in English/Digital Journalism. She also writes for The Fairfield Mirror, Fairfield University's student newspaper: http://fairfieldmirror.com/author/mimi-loughlin/. Mimi is happy to be part of the Her Campus team at Fairfield! :)
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.