Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About Jussie Smollett and His Staged Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you’re confused about the Jussie Smollett case, trust me you’re not the only one. First, we heard that Jussie was physically attacked by two men who were wearing “MAGA” hats. They supposedly yelled racist and homophobic slurs and things like “This is MAGA country.” Next, we learned that this was not true at all and in fact, there was no evidence of this being a hate crime. It was later revealed that one of the men was an extra on the set of ~Empire~ and the other was a personal trainer that Jessie hired. 

The Chicago Police seem to think that Jussie did this to create attention around his name as he was dissatisfied with his current salary. Jussie was officially charged with disorderly conduct for filing a fake police report, and he was released on bail for $100,000.

So yes, Jussie staged a whole attack -even sent himself a death threat- just for an increase in salary.

Zahra Kallo

Fairfield '20

Hello! My name is Zahra Kallo. I was born in Atlanta, GA and raised in Bridgeport, CT. I am currently a junior at Fairfield University majoring in Communication with minors in Marketing and Health Studies. I am interested in politics and society. I also enjoy reading, being around my family, and anything sweet!
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com