Everything We Need to Know about the Local Fairfield Star ~The Shirley Temple King~

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fairfield’s native Leo Kelly loves Shirley Temples and for a six-year-old, he is gaining a lot of attention for his obsession. The Shirley Temple King, aka your new Instagram obsession, posts adorable videos giving reviews of Shirley Temples at chain restaurants in Connecticut. Each video starts with “hey guys, it’s the Shirley Temple King” before diving straight into an honest review. Leo rates his Shirley Temples on the number of cherries, the grenadine to Ginger Ale ratio, and the type of glass. The perfect Shirley Temple, according to Leo, usually has three cherries and is served in anything but a plastic cup. The first-grader has so much influence that Longhorn Steakhouse seemingly changed their recipe after his negative review.

After going viral online, the little guy went on the Ellen DeGeneres Show to talk more about his favorite drink. Leo loves Shirley Temples so much that when he was on Ellen he said, “every drink you’re like, ‘That’s good!’ And then you get the spark and you’re like ‘mmm!’ Then you get the cherry flavor and the grenadine and then you get the ginger ale!”. Ellen brought celebrity chefs Curtis Stone, Susan Feniger, and Cat Cora on the show to concoct what hopefully would be the perfect Shirley Temple and had him rate them. After trying each one, Leo was less than impressed. Leo rated Cora’s drink an 8.2 whereas Leo gave Feniger a ruthless score of five. Stone was the winner in the end with a rating of 8.22, partially due to incorporating ice balls of lemonade. Give Leo a follow on Instagram @TheShirleyTempleKing ASAP so you do not miss his next review! 

Amber Shephard

Fairfield '20

Amber Shephard graduated Fairfield University in 2020 where she majored in Psychology and minored in Marketing. 
Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.