matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Everything We Need to Know About the College Admissions Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

In the past year, the Justice Department and the FBI investigated an alleged college admissions scandal involving celebrities paying a large sum of money to different colleges and universities to have their children enrolled. It was announced last week that celebrities including Lori Loughlin from Full House and Felicity Huffman from Desperate Housewives, did in fact bribe, lie, and cheat to get their children into prestigious schools, giving them an advantage above all other applicants.

The $200,000 to $6.5 million bribes were not the only factors that impacted their children’s acceptances. It was reported that third parties were hired to cheat on and take college admissions exams including the SAT and ACT, attend classes for the students, and take the students’ places in sporting events.

The elaborate schemes even went as far as creating fake athletic profiles for their children, which included editing their faces onto stock images to fill slots allotted by schools for student athletes. The athletic coaches accepted these bribes fully knowing the students never participated or had any intentions of being members of the teams.

The day after the breaking news was announced, Lori Loughlin was arrested in Los Angeles for felony charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. The following day, Loughlin was released from custody after posting a $1 million bond. Loughlin will not be returning to The Hallmark Channel or for the final season of the Netflix original series, Fuller House.

We’ve all gone through the long and difficult admissions process and it’s truly disappointing to see celebrities use their fame and wealth to enroll their children into schools. By doing this, applicant spots were undeservingly filled rather than by hardworking and dedicated students who earned the acceptance.

Lauren is a Connecticut native currently majoring in Marketing and Public Relations at Fairfield University. Her interests include spending time with friends, going to the gym, cooking, baking, and pumpkin spice everything! When she is not writing for Her Campus, she is probably spending time with her two dogs Lily & Daisy!
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com