Emotional Phases of Getting A Bad Lottery Number

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

First thought: this would happen to us. Out of all of the groups, why us? They claim that the lottery is randomized, but is there really proof? I guess randomizing the lottery is the easiest and “fairest” way, but it sucks when you are given the short end of the stick. But, you know what they say, you get what you get and you can’t get upset! (Still working on that though.)

It can’t be that bad, can it? There must be somewhere we could live. But then you get an email saying that all the spots are full and you will probably get split up, so there’s that. 

But, oh, it definitely is bad… So bad! Not knowing is the worst part. It’s basically freshman year all over again—not knowing your roommate or your living situation. 

Even Res Life knows you’re screwed. They can’t really help you because it is what it is. Someone had to get the worst numbers. It just was not our lucky day. 

You realize that there just simply are not enough beds on campus for you. It mathematically doesn’t make sense to live near or with your class. There are only a certain amount of spots and then people are placed wherever. Who knows where wherever is? 

Pissed, anxious, frustrated, comical, a hot mess… I can go on.  It’s frustrating because you have zero control over the situation. All you can do is wait it out. By junior year you would think that you could have some say! You thought wrong. But on the other hand, it’s nothing to get too upset over because other people are in the same situation. Weirdly enough, laughing seems like an appropriate response after a while. 

At this point, you would be open to the freshmen dorms… but would you? To be honest, you might just end up in the same building you started in. 

Eventually you begin to accept the cruel nature of the lottery and give into fate. If you don’t, you may just end up going crazy. If your group gets split up and you end up living in a freshman dorm, so be it. Just got to have a little faith in fate. (Still holding a grudge against Res Life, though.)

May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant