Dear First Year Self: Homesickness & How It’ll Get Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Dear First Year Self,

I remember saying goodbye to mom and dad on move-in day. I was ready to begin my college journey with these high expectations of what it would be like in my mind. Having a whole group of friends after a week just like my group at home, having an easy time in my classes because I trained myself with AP courses in high school, and having an easy transition to my new home in Fairfield, CT. As we both know, these expectations were not the reality.

I cried, a lot. I called my parents more often than I thought I would just to hear the sound of familiar, loving voices. After just one month, I was convincing my parents that I needed to fill out an application to a school that I could commute to from home. They told me to hold on a bit longer, but if it was really something that I felt I needed to do, that I had all of their support. I knew in my heart that I had chosen the right school. I loved all of the clubs that I was in, the beautiful campus, my wonderful professors, and all of the great business networking opportunities offered here. I knew that Fairfield U was where I was meant to be, but I did not feel at home regarding my social life.

I was so used to easily making friends at home that I expected it to be a piece of cake coming to a whole sea of new faces. I thought that joining clubs would instantly mean new friends. Most clubs were just starting out and did not have many meetings at the beginning, so I did not make friends from them right away. I was losing hope and letting my mind take over me.

It was not until around Thanksgiving that I felt at home on campus. I am so glad that I chose to stay because I have become close to some of the best people in the entire world and I knew that I had chosen the right school. To finally feel like a part of the community was a blessing to me and I could not wait to go back to school for the second semester. I even had some of my friends over my house during the winter break. Things really turned around for me when I realized that I needed to hold on. It was very hard to be optimistic in such a situation, but I stayed focused on the things that I was enjoying at Fairfield and eventually, my happiness with the school radiated onto the faces of others and I finally found my people. Hang in there because it always gets better with time.

Sophomore Self

I am from Long Island, New York. I currently attend Fairfield University and I am pursuing a major in Finance and minors in Mathematics and Economics. 
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com