The Dating App Craze: Pro’s and Con’s of the Issue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Pro’s:

Online dating is nothing new; in fact, it’s been around for a good ten years. Thanks to the Internet, sites like Match, eHarmony and Christian Mingle have been bringing people from all walks of life together. This allows users to connect or “match” with other members of the online community who share similar goals or interests. People turn to online dating sites for many reasons, ranging from having busy schedules to wanting the ability to streamline potential matches. Tinder, known as the hook-up app, is much simpler. One can either swipe left, passing the individual, or right, which matches you, but only if they’ve also swiped right on your profile. Tinder’s simplicity lies in the fact that your left or right swipe depends on a few pictures and a blurb the user writes describing themselves. In an era when college students would rather “hook up” than date, any outlet that can draw two people together for a conversation over coffee is sure to be a hit.

Con’s:

Does anyone remember that feeling one gets when they see a cute guy from a distance and can’t look away? The moment he catches you looking and smiles then doesn’t stop looking your way. He walks up to you starts talking and you exchange numbers. Next thing you’re texting nonstop and have agreed to meet up for coffee. Yes, our lives aren’t all just 80s movies as we wished them to be. But why must we settle on a computer screen or worse, our iPhones to tell us who our next potential match will be? To make matters worse, when one finally matches with someone on Tinder, the conversations aren’t even appropriate. I’m sorry, I’ve exfoliated and I’m in my PJs by 2 am, so no we aren’t “meeting up”. I’m sorry if you really want to see me text me tomorrow at a more appropriate time. Don’t cut yourself too short, ladies. We may be in the age of technology and all, but we don’t have to settle for anything less then what we deserve.      

Overall, I’m a fan of meeting people face-to-face, the old-fashioned way. Sure dating apps and websites are convenient when your lifestyle calls for it, but this is one part of my life I won’t let technology take over.

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.