This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

In a smashing return for Season 4 of Netflix’s The Crown, the series delves into iconic figures from Princess Diana to the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Margaret Thatcher. 

This season dynamically follows the relationship between Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer, complicated with the continued presence of Camilla Parker Bowles, otherwise known as “Gladys.” However, The Crown’s season 4 seems to display their bed was even more crowded than imagined, highlighting the Royal family’s opinions and obligations in their marriage.

Prince Charles (Josh O’Connor) finds himself stuck between his longings and lifespan. According to Insider, O’Connor told British GQ that Prince Charles, “is a guy waiting for his mother to die for his life to have meaning.” And yet, he still isn’t king. 

The show features a recreation of Lady Diana’s most recognizable looks and appearances through the work of The Crown’s incredibly successful costume department and Emma Corrin’s absorption of Diana’s character and energy. The show addresses Diana in a more intimate light, addressing her battle with an eating disorder as well as her overall mental health during her time in the Royal Family.

Gillian Anderson’s portrayal of Margaret Thatcher’s mannerisms and idiolect is addictively well done. Thatcher is elected Prime Minister in episode one, “Gold Stick,” and she keeps us enthralled throughout the season’s 10 episodes. 

Beyond the Iron Lady and the People’s Princess, Olivia Colman returns as her charming, biting portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II, alongside Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret. 

As each character evaluates their life purpose, we discover details about each that stand as testaments to establishments as a whole. The bunch is obsessed with stalking a stag, but the season leaves us wondering who’s really being hunted. 

The Crown is a masterful portrait of family doubling as a business, and is an absolute triumph. If not for the gorgeous content and performances, it’s worth watching simply to learn the game of Ibble Dibble. 

Jackie Campbell

Fairfield '24

Jackie is an English major with an Educational Studies minor at Fairfield University. Though originally from Kansas City, MO, Jackie currently calls Pound Ridge, NY home. Some interests include riding bikes, writing, and exploring new media with her little sister.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.