Cosmo Dubs the Kardashians as “America’s First Family”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

This November, Cosmopolitan is celebrating its 50th birthday. To celebrate our favorite guilty pleasure, the Kardashian family, is gracing the cover. This is the first time in four years that the Kardashian-Jenner clan has been photographed together. The Kardashian family is being honored as ‘America’s First Family,’ written in bold pink typeface, promising readers “16 Pages! Like you’ve Never Seen Them Before”. One aspect of this cover has sparked controversy, which is nothing new for this family (hint: it’s not Khloe’s blonde hair).

Yahoo! News pulled several tweets responding to Kim Kardashian West’s reveal of the Cosmo cover. Kim tweeted:

To which people replied:

E! claims to have made an attempt to reach out to Hearst Communications, Cosmo’s publisher, but they have not yet responded.

Personally, I am not exactly sure what prompted Cosmo to call the Kardashians “America’s First Family.” For publicity? To stir controversy? To be ironic? Whatever the reason, it certainly got people talking about the November issue. Here’s my problem: we have put so much emphasis on fame and fortune that it has become the biggest determinate of success. Are the confines of “America’s First Family” no longer limited to residents of the White House? 

I am not insulted by what Cosmo did because I know it was simply a way to get people talking about the November issue. A portrait of George Washington or John F. Kennedy would not have been as popular as this. I respect Cosmo’s marketing tactics, they know how to get us talking, but I am surprised by their choice of the ideal American family. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant