A Collegiette’s Thought on What to Wear on Campus: Makeup Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

One of the best things about being a girl is wearing makeup. Whether it is buying, applying, or watching makeup videos, beauty products allow us a creative way to express ourselves. One of my favorite parts of going out on the weekends is putting on makeup and getting all dolled up. I’m always researching new looks and products, looking for the best ones out there. We get to express our moods through the color of our lipstick, and we can play with contouring to highlight different angles of our face. Our face is a canvas that looks beautiful blank or filled with colors.

When it comes to waking up in the morning for an 8am there are two different types of people. You have the girl who wakes up an hour before class. She starts to get dressed and puts her makeup on because she knows no matter how hard she tries to fall back asleep, she is awake and ready for the day so there is no going back to sleep. There is nothing wrong with being dressed and ready to go for an 8am. If you are an early bird fashionista, wear light and natural colors. Neutral eye shadow and light eyeliner is the best way to go. You don’t want anything too bright because it is 8 o’clock in the morning. You can always go back and add a darker brow or fun colored lipstick later in the day.

When it comes to classes throughout the day, try to stick to light colors too. Though dark smoky eyes are sexy and fun to do, it is best to save those looks for the weekend. Makeup shouldn’t be used to recreate your face and hide your flaws. We all have flaws and we should embrace them (even though it is pretty amazing what some cover-ups can do). Makeup is used to enhance your natural beauty and highlight what makes you feel beautiful. The purpose of makeup is not to make you look like a completely different person.

Some girls say that they cannot leave their room without having a full face of makeup on. Trust me when I say it is more fun to surprise people on the weekends with a new bold look and contouring technique than it is to wear the minimal makeup that I do everyday of the week. Lightly highlight your favorite features during the week and feel free to go full red carpet on the weekends.

Watching makeup videos online can be fun and inspiring; however, we often see people look completely different at the end of the video due to the new techniques used that hide every freckle and beauty mark a girl has on her face. While this is intriguing, it is unrealistic because these girls are hiding what truly makes them beautiful.

There are so many new makeup trends and techniques becoming popular every day. My advice? Save those dark plum lips and dark smoky eyes for the weekend. Pair them with your favorite going out outfit so you can look and feel like a hundred bucks.

Sometimes, to make an outfit come together perfectly during the week, that dark lip is essential. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel confident when it comes to makeup but remember; we don’t need makeup to make us look beautiful. Yes there is nothing more fun than applying makeup to a clean, fresh face, however there is nothing better than taking your makeup off and having unclogged pores. Natural faces are more beautiful than a face caked on with makeup and taking your makeup off to let your face breathe is better for your skin. Remember, makeup is a fun creative way we can express ourselves. It shouldn’t be a way to reconstruct our faces temporarily to look like someone else.

Makeup is a fun aspect of every girl’s life but it is not necessary. Everyone is beautiful in their own natural way. Coming from a girl who is obsessed with makeup; I love putting it on and playing around with it but I love taking it off and letting my face breathe so much more. In the words of Audrey Hepburn, “True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul, happy girls are the prettiest girls, and elegance is the only beauty that never fades.”

Jackie has been an active member of Her Campus Fairfield over the past two years and is the new Co-Campus Correspondent for Fairfield's chapter. She is a junior communications major with a minor in marketing. She loves baking, sports, sushi, and her Jack Russell Terrier Tipper.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant