College Life: Movie Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

6 Things that happen in movies that, don’t actually happen in college:

1.     Floor-wide dorm parties.

When have you ever walked into Loyola or Regis and stumbled upon an entire hallway dorm party?

2.     Blue Mountain State’s Goat House Style Parties

There is no townhouse big enough to hold hundreds of people frolicking around in their underwear.

3.     Dorm Rooms that look like they were decorated by HGTV

Chances are your dorm room doesn’t have a nice, white door and a built in closet.

4.     On Spring Break all college kids collectively go crazy

In reality, you’ll probably just go home and eat for a week.

5.     There is no in-between with roommates. They are either your best friend or worst enemy.

Most of the time you and your freshman year roomie will be nothing more than good roommates!

6.     You’ll meet your best friends the first day

Chances are that it will take some time to meet your best friends. But no worries, because when you do meet them, you’ll know they’ll be friends for life!

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.