This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Through the years, college students have always kept up the same traditions. No matter what decade it is, we all go to class, study, hang-out with friends, and go to parties. Of course, we can’t forget about our independent spirits and desire to make a difference. Comparing students from then and now, it seems as if almost nothing has changed….nothing except fashion. Years ago getting dressed to the nines was the thing to do while attending class. Skirts and ankle socks were the norm for female coeds, and the guys would dress in suits or sweaters. Fast forward to today, girls wear leggings to class as a wardrobe staple, while guys opt for jeans and sweatpants. 

Here is a look in college fashion: then vs. now: 

Then: 1970

Fall meant it was time to pull out plaid skirts, reminiscent of the uniforms we were forced to wear in grade school. Turtlenecks and chains were also a must for the season. Their hair was usually long and straight.

Now: Today, a casual fall look for many girls is wearing jeans and slouchy sweaters with a comfortable shoe. On test days, hair will most likely been seen tied up in a messy bun

Then: 1915

Guys wore varsity sweaters while listening to the radio together.

Now: Guys can be seen wearing their favorite teams jersey, sporting a backwards baseball cap and stuffing their faces with food.

Then: 1928

Ladies would only travel home for break with an appropriate suitcase and fur coat.

Now: We are lucky to even remember to bring our winter coat home, let alone wear a fur one over breaks. On days that require hours of travel, a sweatshirt and yoga pants are a must.

Then: 1950

Pool days called for one piece bathing suits and swimming caps.

Now: Bikini’s and sunnies are a regular occurrence during beach days. It’s our day off we want to be comfortable and get our tan on! 

Then: 1952
Naps were taken in full suits while sailing down the river.

Now: While it is still true that naps can be taken almost anywhere, college students today tend to go for the more predictable places such as class or the library. Most likely a sweatshirt will be worn.

Its inevitable, fashions change but one thing will always remain the same, college will forever be the place to figure out who you are, where you are headed and what you are going to wear getting there.

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant