Celebrities Call to Action: #BoycottDolceGabbana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Recent comments made by fashion icons Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have led to major backlash from Elton John. In an interview with the Italian magazine Panorama, Gabbana revealed that he would like to have a child but due to his personal view on a traditional family, he cannot. Dolce added, “When you’re born, you have a mother and a father, or at least that’s how it should be” (NPR). The two men discussed their beliefs regarding IVF (in vitro fertilization), in which they called IVF babies “chemistry children and synthetic children.” Dolce and Gabbana explained that although they would like to have children, using IVF goes against their traditional family values.

After hearing these comments, Elton John, who has two sons with his husband, was furious. He called out the designers on Instagram :

“How dare you refer to my beautiful children as “synthetic.” And shame on you for wagging your judgmental little fingers at IVF – a miracle that has allowed legions of loving people, both straight and gay, to fulfill their dreams of having children. Your archaic thinking is out of step with the times, just like your fashions. I shall never wear Dolce and Gabbana ever again. #BoycottDolceGabbana” (Instagram).

Celebrities including Ricky Martin, Courtney Love, Victoria Beckham, and a large portion of the public are following Elton John’s lead and boycotting Dolce & Gabbana’s products.

In response to the major backlash received, Dolce and Gabbana clarified their comments with CNN. Dolce and Gabbana stated that their comments were personal views, and they have nothing against people who use IVF in order to have children. Dolce remarked, “I believe in the traditional famiy, it is impossible to change my culture for something different. It’s me… I respect all the world, all the culture.”

In resonse to Elton John’s call to boycott their products, Dolce and Gabbana are telling people not to boycott them just because they disagree with their opinions. The two men were surprised at the amount of backlash received, claiming that they were just expressing an opinion – exercising their freedom of speech. Elton John did not respond to Dolce and Gabbana’s CNN interview, but he jokingly said at his concert, “Listen, the band have been wearing Dolce & Gabbana, I love Dolce & Gabbana,” (US) indicating that he is not past the incident. Some see this feud as an attack on those who use IVF, while others see it as an infringement on the freedom of speech.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.