Campus Celebrity: Victoria Asmus ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As all of us collegiettes probably already know, this past weekend was the official kick-off of College Fashion Week in Boston. I had the privilege to interview one of the coolest girls, Victoria Asmus: CFW model and Fairfield student. Keep reading for insight on her unbelievable experience while prepping for the show and ultimately ~killin’ it~ on the runway! 

HC: What compelled you to initially apply to be a part of CFW?

VA: I actually applied to be a part of CFW not thinking I would get it. I never win contests or raffles of any kind so it never crossed my mind that I would be actually be picked! It seemed like a fun opportunity and I liked that the show would be featuring models of all shapes and sizes. I found out I was selected to model a few weeks later.I sincerely apologize to anyone eating in The Stag that evening because my friends and I were all excitedly jumping around and screaming. I couldn’t believe it. 

HC: What was the most nerve-racking feeling you had before going?

VA: Well I am no Gigi Hadid. I am 5’4 (barely) and I look like every other blonde on campus. How was I supposed to pull off a catwalk and be an actual model? To make my nerves even worse, while driving up to Boston we hit traffic (of course) so I was extremely late to my fitting. This put me at a disadvantage because I missed out on initially meeting everyone who was involved. Talk about fighting for my confidence back.

HC: Based on your Instagrams, we can tell you made a bunch of friends before showtime. How was it being in an environment filled with collegiettes who were all empowering each other?

VA: Meeting the other models and getting to know them was the best part of my experience at CFW. I still keep in touch with them and we are actually planning a CFW model reunion in November. It is not often that you meet 29 other girls with all the same interests so I had a blast hearing about their previous modeling experience, their established blogs, and their own chapters of HC! I can honestly tell you I went in with 29 strangers, and came out with 29 new friends who continually support and cheer for me in everything I do. How lucky am I?

HC:Which designer(s) did your outfit consist of?

VA: I was dressed in one of my favorite designers actually, LK Bennett. I was in their menswear line that featured a dress, jacket and pumps, a perfect look for college students heading into the business world.

HC:If you could pick one moment to relive from the entire trip, which would it be?

VA: As weird as it may sound, probably the moment the show ended. Once we were all backstage, all the models were cheering and celebrating together and I remember looking around and thinking… is this real life? Did I really just catwalk in front of 900 people and now get to celebrate the shows success with my new HC sisters?  We all had been through hours of hair and makeup and runway practice but we were never alone. We were by each other’s side from beginning to the end and it was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

HC: How was it having your own personal #glamsquad for a day?!

VA: I wanted to bring them home with me! My hairstylist was so funny. A photographer followed me around and told me to “smile but don’t look at the camera.” I was struggling because my hair was being pulled every which way and I also had to act like I was naturally having the time of my life. My hairstylist decided to help me out and started making jokes and saying witty comments that got me to laugh. Safe to say the pictures were a success.

HC: Throughout this process you have said your family has hands down been your biggest supporters. How did it feel to finally achieve this goal with them by your side?

VA: Yes so I brought my dad to CFW. I know right. He has no idea what fashion is (proudly owning only 4 pairs of shoes as he likes to tell people) and when it comes to Her Campus he just reads my articles not really knowing what we are all about. When I was backstage waiting to go on, I caught a glimpse of him through the curtain. He was sitting among all of the fashion bloggers and other Her Campus members  (all female) so he stuck out like a sore thumb. He happened to catch a glimpse of me backstage and waved and gave two thumbs up. I had turn away because I was about to burst into tears. The man had waited 9 hours by himself just to be there for my 45 seconds of fame and he couldn’t have been prouder. My dad is my rock and I am so thankful for him and all the sacrifices he makes for me.

HC: What was your first thought when stepping out on the runway?

VA: Please please please don’t trip. My heels were so tall and brand new so I was so nervous to walk the runway in them. However as soon as I stepped on stage I felt a rush of nervous excitement and knew I was ready to walk. The lights were so bright I could barely make out the crowd but as soon as I went on I was too busy having fun to pay attention to my nerves.

HC: Out of the entire experience at CFW, was there one thing that happened which you didn’t expect?

VA: The kinds of friendships that came out of the experience I didn’t expect at all. As cheesy as it sounds, I found sisters for life. Girls are catty especially when it comes to looks and fashion. I was expecting to be sized up and spend the whole day by myself. But as soon as I got to CFW I made friends almost instantly. Through the whole day we took pictures, exchanged social media handles and chatted about life, Her Campus and even boys. I am so happy to have the friendships that formed at CFW it made the whole process even more worth it.

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.