Campus Celebrity: Christine Angell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Are you considering studying abroad and are completely lost when it comes to everything you must consider? If so, American Girls Guide is the perfect resource for you. This online blog, created by Fairfield’s own Christine Angell, answers all of the questions you may have before making this life changing decision. Read below for more information on her inspiration for starting it, and some of the advice you can find on her blog.

HC: Where did you study abroad?Christine: I studied abroad Spring 2015 in Florence, Italy

HC: Tell us a little about your blog? What made you start it? What types of information can we find on it?Christine: My blog, (americangirlsguide.com) is essentially a guide to study abroad. Before I went abroad I got tons of advice from all different people but found all of it totally useless or not true once I arrived and started to experience everything myself. The blog is advice based on my personal experience abroad. There’s everything from what restaurants and bars to go to, to packing guides to how to make your cell phone work. I’ve pretty much just been trying to make posts that answer all the questions I had before going abroad in one easily accessible place.

HC: What are two items you wouldn’t think you need abroad but are a must have?Christine: NyQuil and a versatile winter coat haha Medicines like NyQuil are a little bit different abroad and bringing a stock of NyQuil saved me when I had a cold and couldn’t sleep or to make those long bus treks across Europe a little more bearable. It was also a lot colder in Florence than I had been lead to believe, and was so grateful to have a standard black puffer coat to keep me warm through the winter. Having a really generic coat like that also saves room when packing and leaves more room for more important things like shoes.

HC: What is your number one piece of advice to students going abroad?Christine: Use your time wisely. Obviously going out and experiencing the nightlife is a crucial part of the study abroad experience but make sure that you’re really getting out and trying new foods and going to museums and really experiencing the culture.  

HC: What is the biggest misconception about going abroad?Christine: I think a lot of people just hear stories about how amazing being abroad is and while that is 100% true there are times where being in a foreign country can be really difficult. I don’t think everyone is necessarily prepared to be homesick but it definitely happens especially with little things that you wouldn’t think would bother you like wearing sweats out of the house or buffalo chicken. Just be realistic and let yourself be a little homesick when that feeling comes because it’s totally normal.

HC: What do you hope students get from reading your blog?!Christine: I hope people get a better view of how logistical things will work out while they’re abroad. Like before I went I knew I wanted to get an Italian SIM card for my phone but I didn’t really know what that would entail or cost or anything else and I couldn’t find any good resources to help me answer those questions. I hope to be that resource for someone else. 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.