Campus Celebrities: The Girls Behind Hunger Clean Up

Junior best friends Alyssa Zuccaro and Kelly Moran teamed up to run The 2014 Hunger Clean Up taking place this Saturday, April 12, from 10 A.M to 1 P.M. The two dedicated girls explained the importance of Hunger Clean Up, and how they are carrying on the tradition of the 26 year-old service club. If you would like to participate in this event, recruit a group of friends, choose a team name, and sign up! Continue reading about this weeks Campus Celebrities…

Name: Alyssa ZuccaroYear: 2015Major: Accounting/MarketingHometown: Seaford, NY

Name: Kelly MoranYear: 2015Major: Management/CommunicationsMinor: PsychologyHometown: Belmar, NJ

Her Campus: What exactly is Hunger Clean Up?Alyssa Zucarro: It’s a service-based club. We get in contact with worksites in the Fairfield/Bridgeport area that need help with raking, sweeping, gardening, etc. People usually sign up with groups so it’s a great time for some bonding!

HC: When did you two decide to take over the club, and tell us what your positions entails?AZ: Last year was our first year on the board. Our fellow board members voted for us to be presidents of the club.Kelly Moran: Our position requires us to meet twice a week to organize and plan our event by contacting worksites, recruiting volunteers, publicizing the event and maintaining the Fairfield tradition of the event.

HC: What do you think your peers should understand about Hunger Clean Up?AZ: It’s a great way to serve your community, while also spending time outside in the nice spring weather with your friends!KM: Hunger Clean Up is a way to give back to the community and become a well-rounded individual, which is one of the values we practice being as s student at a Jesuit school.

HC: How has Hunger Clean Up impacted or inspired you? AZ: It’s so rewarding seeing how grateful and happy those that we serve get. Its makes up for all the hardwork and time we put into organizing the club. KM: I would have to agree with Alyssa, seeing how people reflect on the service they participated in when they return to campus definitely inspires me to implement more service events.

HC: Is it too late to get involved? If it’s not, what can we do?AZ: Never too late! We are accepting sign ups until Friday [April 11th] night. Just email either me or Kelly with your names, cell phone numbers, and if you need transportation. If you are able to drive yourself just let us know how many people can fit in your car!

HC: Finally, what is the goal for the Hunger Clean Up 2014?AZ: Our goal is to raise money for those organizations that need it and to help them in any way possible. KM: Hunger Clean Up has been a tradition for 26 years and it has always been a great time and a huge success, our goal is to carry out this tradition.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!