Off-Campus Beach Party Sparks Controversy Across Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

This past weekend undergraduate students hosted a party at their off campus house with a “ghetto” theme. News of this event broke in the hours after when students began to voice their concerns on social media. Since then, Father von Arx, president of Fairfield University, has released a statement in a university-wide email.

Other news sources have published reports of specific attire worn, language used, along with pictures and names of students involved. The university is still investigating and has not verified if this information is accurate.

FUSA held an emergency meeting Monday evening to address the student body concerns. Anif McDonald, FUSA President, has since sent a university wide emai in response.

This event has caused emotionally charged reactions from both students and community members. As a result, the university has extended the office hours of Student and Multicultural Affairs and FUSA is hosting a Race Dialog Open Forum tonight, Wednesday February 24th, at 8pm in the LLBCC. All students are encouraged to attend the event. 

Caroline Metcalf-Vera is a sophomore at Fairfield University majoring in Communications. Here at Her Campus Fairfield, she is the Executive News Editor. When she isn't in class or writing you'll probably find her camped out in the Mezz with at least three beverages. Guilty pleasures consist of: cotton candy ice cream and early 2000s rap.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.