Style

Broadway Breakdown: The Marvelous Costumes of Moulin Rouge! The Musical 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you’re like me and are a lover of Broadway shows, then this article is for you. I’m not sure if it’s just me, but one of the first things I notice when the performers come on stage is their costumes. They are a huge part of the show and something that is meant to capture the attention of the audience. I chose to write about Moulin Rouge! The Musical because of the incredible attention to detail and dazzling effect the costumes have on the show. 

Moulin Rouge! The Musical, based on Baz Lurhmann’s hit 2001 film, hit the stage on July 25, 2019. Starring Karen Olivo as Satine and Aaron Tveit as Christian, the show took off with high hopes. Tony-Award winner Catherine Zuber and associate designer Wilberth Gonzalez designed the costumes for Moulin Rouge! with specialists from different countries. While the costumes are definitely embellished a little from Paris 1899, there is no doubt about their greatness. 

Satine, “The Sparkling Diamond”

Satine is the lead dancer and courtesan of the Moulin Rouge. While she goes through different costume changes, she always has some type of corset on. One of her costumes is decked out in 30,000 Swarovski crystals! Satine’s fashion consists of silk and sparkly corsets, fishnet tights, and sexy robes, definitely showing her character as the woman of all men’s desire. 

Christian

Christian, in love with Satine, is a writer who comes to Paris to find truth, beauty, freedom and love. Christian is dressed in a linen button down, a vest, slacks, a neck scarf, and of course a long trench coat. He gives off the appeal of a struggling writer who left behind his riches to find his passion. 

The Ensemble

The opening costumes of the ensemble are adorned in sexy red and black corset costumes, accompanied by fishnets and gorgeous headpieces. The men wear penguin style suits and top hats to give the full effect of a night at the Moulin Rouge. The opening scene with these costumes gets the crowd excited and on their feet along with the performers. A fan favorite is the bright and colorful cancan skirts. With numerous costume changes throughout the show, the ensemble is always wearing fun, bright colors to create a gleaming effect. 

If you’d like a bit more backstory on this hit musical, check out the videos below. I promise, they are  worth taking an interest in! Or you can see the show for yourself at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre in NYC!

XO Hannah

https://www.theatregold.com/content/moulin-rouge-the-musical/

Hannah Collins

Fairfield '24

Hannah Collins is the Fashion Editor at Her Campus for the Fairfield University chapter. She oversees the fashion article pitches each week, contributes pitches, and articles, and provides feedback/reviews to the articles submitted. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah has been an editorial intern for East End Taste Magazine, a digital lifestyle magazine located on the East End of Long Island. She conducted research for articles, contacted partners about events, and has her own articles published. Hannah is also a writer for The Point Magazine and The Mirror at Fairfield University. Hannah is currently a senior at Fairfield University, with a major in English Professional Writing and a minor in Marketing. She is also a member of the English Honor Society. Hannah spends her free time reading books across all genres and spending time with friends. She's an avid lover of fashion and keeps up with current trends, while also maintaining her own unique style.