freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Valentine’s Day I’ve Ever Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

10:52 a.m. was my initial thought, I must make the 10:52 Amtrak train to Pittsburgh. It was a busy New York City morning on February 13, 2015. I had just walked out of Grand Central Station feeling confused, wondering what I should do next.  Should I do the walk all the way to Penn Station? Should I hail a cab? I decided on the cab, got in the cab line, and before I knew it I was one my way. While cruising through the city streets, I couldn’t help but notice how a splash of pink and red had taken over the usual grey landscape of NYC. Rose stands, chocolates, and stores advertising their perfect Valentine’s Day outfits had me all lovey-dovey inside. Soon, I approached Madison Square Garden, and realized I had made it to Penn Station. I got out of the cab, wished the driver a happy Valentine’s Day, and strutted my stuff into the train station. 

The train ride lasted eleven hours– I spent most of the time either taking very comfortable naps or learning the history of the state of Pennsylvania, courtesy of the really nice grandma sitting next to me. I started seeing city lights and I knew I had arrived. This was a big deal for me. This was the first time I had ever traveled on my own to see a guy, my guy most importantly. How very Carrie Bradshaw takes Paris of me (~*flipping my hair*~). The train had arrived 30 minutes earlier than scheduled, so when I got off the train he wasn’t there with a bouquet of roses or with jukebox playing “Don’t You Forget About Me” by Simple Minds. A bit disappointed, I did the next best thing and called an Uber to his school.

As I was being driven through downtown Pittsburgh, I started getting nervous. I hadn’t seen Jake in a month and this was going to be our first Valentine’s Day as a couple. Jake and I had been seeing each other for a while, but hadn’t labeled anything until just recently. This small getaway would determine what direction we would be going in so this was a big deal for us. 

When I first saw him, it felt like the time we had been away from each other had vanished. I squeezed him and smiled. He explained he had reservations for our romantic Valentine’s Day dinner and how this weekend was going to be relaxing and carefree. 

The next night, after a $30 Uber ride to downtown Pittsburgh, we made it to the restaurant called Ceviche. Ceviche means mixture of seafood with lemon on top. Jake didn’t know what Ceviche was or why the restaurant was named after it and unfortunately for me, I’m allergic to seafood. Even though I was limited to the only meat dish on the special Valentine’s Day menu, it was still such a special night. Our waitress Erica started telling us about her and her boyfriend who lived in New York City. This Valentine’s Day she couldn’t spend it with her boyfriend due to work and his busy schedule. After talking to her it made me realize how lucky I was to have Jake. Yes, he had picked the only restaurant where I couldn’t eat most of the food that they served. Yes, he was teasing me while he ate spoonful after spoonful of Ceviche knowing that I couldn’t resist the citrus aroma. And yes, he dragged me out in the Pittsburgh cold to an amazing date when all I needed to make me happy was pizza. He wasn’t perfect, but I know that he would go to the end of the Earth to make me happy. Jake is the type of guy that would do anything to impress me and make me smile. I’ve explained many times before how I don’t need much. I’m a simple girl who just loves tagging along for the ride, but he always strikes me by saying “I know but I love you and want to make you happy.” Who can resist that?

As I was finishing my steak and fries he asked me, “So how’s your Valentine’s Day?” and I answered, “Good, how’s yours?” He laughed and said his was good as well. As we got the check and he was signing his receipt, I blew him a kiss and thanked him for a lovey dinner. He grabbed my hand as we were walking out kissed the side of my head and we were off into the cold once again.

After that weekend we became a stronger and even more lovey couple than we were before. We opened up to each other, which set the foundation for the relationship we have now. Sometimes one just needs to hop on a train letting go of all fears and expectations to find a happy ending on the other side.

Happy Valentine’s Day Collegiettes!

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant