The Best Oscars Looks Through the Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Through the years, the Academy Awards have brought us amazing fashion and inspiring designer collections.  From the first show in 1929 through this year’s awards, here are some of the most stunning looks from every decade.

1930s Mary Pickford stunned everyone with an embellished dress by an unknown designer that could easily be spotted on the carpet today.

1940s Vivien Leigh sported a poppy-printed, spaghetti strap gown with side cutouts to the 1940 Awards. She also nabbed the Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With the Wind that night, too.

1950s The effortlessly iconic Audrey Hepburn undoubtedly turned heads in this custom Givenchy frock complete with a figure-flattering belt and ultra-chic high neckline.

1960s At the 1968 Awards, Barbra Streisand killed it in a head-to-toe sequined pantsuit complete with stark white cuffs, a collar and a black satin bow.    

1970s Cher’s gold Bob Mackie two-piece is stunning, but her rock hard abs are what truly stole the show at the 1973 Oscars. Damn, girl!

1980s Preteen Angelina Jolie serves a major 1980’s look with outrageous shoulder pads, long, layered pearls and voluminous tresses at the 1986 Academy Awards.

1990s To the last Oscars of the 20th century, Gwyneth Paltrow wore a pink gown by Ralph Lauren paired with a sleek, low bun and diamond choker that could definitely be found in the jewelry boxes of today’s ‘it’ girls. No one knows how to forecast trends like the Goop queen herself, am I right? 1999 Paltrow also claimed a best actress Oscar that year, ending the century with a bang.  

2000s Hilary Swank wowed all in a completely backless Guy Laroche gown at the 2005 Oscars, showing off her insanely toned torso as she accepted a Best Actress award.

2010s At the 2014 Oscars, Lupita Nyong’o looked absolutely breathtaking in a baby blue Prada gown and completed her look with understated jewelry and a glittery headband. This modern Cinderella look is a true showstopper and proves even more so that Lupita is an absolute queen.

Cheers to all of this year’s winners and many more decades of flawless red carpet fashion!

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant