burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Behind the Red Sole: A History of Christian Louboutin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Parisian designer Christian Louboutin’s red-soled shoe has become a symbol for international luxury in the fashion world. Worn by some of the most beautiful celebrities, it didn’t take long for these iconic shoes to gain their lust worthy reputation. But, who is the mastermind behind the red-soled shoe?

Born in 1963, Christian Louboutin’s shoe obsession began when he was a child. As a fourteen-year old, he was entranced by the glitz and the glam of the Moulin Rouge. He admired the showgirls and desired to design a shoe for them that provided stability and an extra touch of glamour while they were up on stage. When he turned sixteen, he dropped out of school and brought his drawings of shoes to Folies Bergère, a famous cabaret music hall where his career took off.

Thanks to his infamous signature red sole, Louboutin’s brand has become a staple within the industry. He’s featured his shoes on the catwalks of great designers like Alexander McQueen and Yves Saint Laurent. Being immersed in the fashion world, it’s surprising that Louboutin says, “I don’t look at trends.” He does not look toward fashion for his inspiration; instead he draws inspiration from the people he meets, patterns of fabric, and furniture.

Christian Louboutin’s success is built purely from his dedication and passion to his work. He has tried pursuing landscaping in the past but hardly has the time for hobbies. He lives for his shoes. Diane von Fürstenberg, former Belgian princess and American fashion designer, describes Christian as a, “magician, obsessed with beauty, legs and feet. He understands women and makes them feel like Cinderellas.”

Hopefully, when we are all successful workingwomen with our college degrees in hand, we can invest in a pair of these wonderful shoes. 

Katherine is a sophomore at Fairfield University currently studying Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. She works behind the scenes as Executive Style Editor for Her Campus Fairfield. New York City is her dream, where she plans to pursue and thrive in the world of the arts. She has a talent for creating visually stunning productions that encompass several inspirational mediums including makeup, fashion styling, and interior design. She loves to combine her passion for creation with her strong skill of organization.  In her free time she loves catching up on the latest pinterest activity, watching too many episodes of Lost, or indulging in one of her favorite activities: shopping! This girl is a huge advocate for girl power, inner beauty, and confidence!
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!