Beach Parties: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

There’s nothing better than knowing exactly where you are going and what beach house you are going to when the weekend rolls around. When we hear the words, “there’s a party at the beach tonight!” outfit options, shoe choices, and means of transportation pop into our head. Everyone at Fairfield loves to party at High Tide, The Dollhouse, Shocker, the Bishop, Shark Tank and/or  Girl’s Dupe! But let’s be real, these beach parties don’t always turn out to be as great as we had hoped…but we love them anyway! And we will certainly continue to go and party on…but let’s address the reality…

Expectation: I’m going to wear this dress from LF tonight for the all white party…hopefully I don’t get anything on it!Reality: Beer is  thrown everywhere by the boys DJing and it’s now in your hair and on your dress. Then some girl who is trying to drag her friend to the bathroom spills her red beverage on you…and doesn’t apologize. The white dress was a big mistake!

Expectation: These heels are so cute and match my outfit perfectly; I can’t wait to wear them!Reality: *Five minutes in* “MY FEET ARE KILLING ME I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE! EFF IT THEY’RE COMING OFF!”

Expectation: They aren’t letting everyone in so there shouldn’t be a lot of people there!Reality: Everyone in the house looks like a bunch of sardines packed tightly into a room designed to hold a max of 10 people. Plus everyone is so sweaty and gross that every window in the house is fogged up.

Expectation: Let’s rage until the sun comes up!!Reality: “We called the cops, everyone out! We’re going to the grape!!” (It’s 11:54…..)

Expectation: “It’s okay, we can just call a cab and go back to campus!”Reality: There are a hundred freshmen standing in the Beach Side parking lot trying to hail the same taxi. And when you finally get into one, there’s always that one person who’s like, “OMG, I don’t have my StagCard can you just drop me off at the gate?”

But beach parties still somehow manage to be fun! So Stags, keep on raging because the beach is awesome and you deserve a nice sweaty party after a long week!

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.